CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CDI Application

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bat, Jeff,
And your right, a picture does explain a thousand words and having said that, other then installing a pipe, air cleaner kit and rejet, I havn't disassembled my baja much yet, I just took a quick look to locate the module and it's not visable. I wouldn't be asking this question if Bomb would make available the service manual thats been back ordered for six months now. I assume it's in front under the tank, yes?, thx again Rich

Old 06-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, if you remove the front plastic/tank cover thing, then you can see it. It is on the left side of the quad if you are sitting on it facing forward.

I too have ordered the service manual, I am beginning to think they took my money and I will never see the book.

Anyway, if you look up under the plastic, you can see it. It is a little black box, and I think it is made by nipendenso(sp?).

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

So,if I'm understanding this right, to put in a new CDI for my Baja, I will have to take all the wires out of the male, and female connectors, and plug each wire into the CDI, and shrink wrap each one, and then use electrical tape to every wire? Seems like a pain in the **** to me!

Old 06-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Adam, it was kind of a pain in the butt, but it was well worth it. I was bouncing off the limiter and that really sucked.

It was one of my best mods. And in reality it only took about half an hour to 45 minutes. Not really that bad.

Bat

Old 06-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, piece of cake, I'm not sure what the aftermarket CDI's come with but I amagine it's some type of harness with a connector of sorts on the end. On the Baja,you have five wires coming from the main wiring harness into a plug which is pluged directly into the new module. Best thing to do is install what I mentioned previously, a Female 6 pin Deutsch Connector onto the five wires from the bikes harness and change out whatever connector comes on the aftermarket CDI and just pin it accordingly. HD has been using these connectors now for seven years. Excellent conductivity and completly water resistant, and a whole lot easier to disassemble and assemble compared to the connectors you mentioned earlier Bat. Any Harley Dealer stocks them. I'll include a site to take a look at one. Thx, Rich A
http://www.msdignition.com/np2002/np2002pd23.htm

Old 06-07-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Let me know how that works out. I would love to find some kind of weatherpak connector that the pins from the stock connector would snap into and give us the connection.

Are you saying that the pins from the stock connector will plug into this connector?

Again, let me know how it works. I may be doing the same thing.

I do have a local harley dealer, so I could probably get the connector from him.

Thanks for the info
Bat

Old 06-07-2002, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Without seeing the pins that are on the aftermarket module I'd guess you'd have to change them, which isn't a big deal. The job is done properly when you have a specail crimp tool for these types of pins but any crimp tool usually works fine. Speaking of Harleys, Mines packed and ready to roll, riding the Feather River Canyon in Northern California this weekend, awesome ride. See yea all Monday, later,
Rich A

Old 06-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

MSD makes a weatherpack connector similar to the stock design for there boxes and distibutors. I cut the wires about three inches back from the plug on my baja because the ron woods CDI comes with wires and a connector about that long unlike the stock box where the plug on the wiring harness plugs directly into the box. Than I connected the wires to the new connector on each end and it works perfect and is protected from water. Looks like a factory installation. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thx Jm, thats good to know. By the way, it's nice to see someone else here from California, I was starting to believe I was the only one that rode a DS in this state. I'm very much fimilar with Pacifica, I was born and raise just above you, on Skyline Dr. Take care, Rich A

Old 06-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Where do you ride at. We should meet up and go riding. Let me know.