CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A-arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002 | 03:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well I think I am going to purdify my A-arms. How hard are they to remove and put back on? Do I need any special tools like a tuning fork to pull the ball joints? Are they sealed units(ball Joints) or wil have to clear/clean them and completly regrease? It didn't look to hard, pull the shock, the mounting bolts, and the ball joints but I wanted to ask first before I dove in.

Old 06-20-2002 | 05:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The shop manual calls for a mandatory service tool - ball joint removal tool (P/N 529 036 639).
I haven't removed them from a DS before, but it looks as though it may be difficult without proper tools. The ball joints are locked into the a-arm with Loctite retaining compound. Perhaps you could borrow the factory tool from your dealer though?? It is a fork type tool constructed like a little press that will pry the joint out. A pair of drivers are called for in re-assembly also, although a large socket may be able to work. Alignment is critical in re-assmebly - take note that the longest tab on the lock tabs must be towards the front of the vehicle, according to the manual. Ball joint torque is 70nM (52ft.lbs.)

Old 06-20-2002 | 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I popped mine out yesterday. Just get a pipe in place of the tool that the book recommends. It has to be big enough to sit on the black alignment ring and clear the ball joint housing flange and about 3" long. It is best to have them pressed out. They get pushed out from the zerk side to the greasy *** boot side. I also recommend a lot of Orange Sand Paper soap!

Good Luck! Easy but messy!

Old 06-20-2002 | 08:08 PM
|
Pro Rider

I am not going to actualy remove the ball joints from the arms, I am just takeing the arms off of the spindle and the quad. If it all comes out in one peice then I will mask off the parts I dont want sprayed. what I was ooking for is how hard are they to get out of the spindle? Sorry for th confusion, and thank you for the replys!!

Old 06-21-2002 | 01:42 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well I just got done painting and reinstalling my foot pegs. I did them in a metallic blue. I did 2 coats primer, 2 coats base, and 2 coats clear. We'll see how well they hold up. I think these would look killer with the Blue Alba kit. I just dont care for that yellow/orangish color on the sticks now. Besides I like to be different. Now next week I will do the A-arms, I hope anyways, and also the heat sheild for sure. ohh and maybe the shifter and foot brake.