CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Can't get up the hill

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I have a friend that just got back from St. Anthony's and told me there was at least one hill that a Raptor and a DS could not make it up. He is not the bashing type of guy, just tells it how he sees it.

So, who has been there and have they had any troubles making it to the top of any dunes?

Which dunes? (names)

Is your quad stock, mildly modded (pipe, filter, CDI, etc.), or has engine work done (intake porting, 703, 760, etc.)?

Hope it was just poor riding, bad jetting or bad sand tires that wouldn't allow these people to make it to the top of the hill.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

He is talking about Chokecherry hill. It rises close to 400 feet in elevation and, like all of St. A, has soft sand. I have seen Raptors make it up and not make it up... depends on rider size, paddles, mods etc. I haven't seen any Bombs make it up but undoubtedly there are plenty that have, I just never seen it happen personally.

I haven't seen too many people make it all the way up Devil's Dune either although most people just run around the bowl but if you got the Heuvos you can go straight up and over the top.

Need some visual aids go to my site and click on the PHOTOS or VIDEOS for the St. A pics and videos. You'll see what I mean.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

while at the oregon dunes this last week there was only 1 hill i couldnt make it up. It was a couple miles south of spinreel on the east side of the dunes where it drops off into the lakes and stuff. The area was full of trees and stuff and i couldnt make it up the steepest part, it wasnt a real long hill, maybe 150 ft high but there is no place at the bottom to get a running start, thats y. It just has a small turnaround at the bottom and maybe 5ft before you hit the steep part. My quad mods are in my signature. Sean

Old 07-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Sean:

Where have you been???

You seemed to disappear after Memorial Day Weekend. Have you been enjoying your summer too much?

Did you hear about the Sept. 12th-15th and Oct. 11th-14th trips to Sand Mt.???

All my friends that made the Memorial Day Weekend trip will be there plus one more couple that just bought a Weekend Warrior and another friend and his dad (two more Weekend Warriors) then my buddy from Reno that just showed up for the day will come up with his new trailer and his brother will bring a trailer and two more trailers will also come. Everyone may not be able to make both trips but, we should have a good turnout never-the-less. Jeff knows about the dates and I think he is going to try to come, I would expect to see his partner Nick and maybe a couple other friends of his as well.

The model homes closed out across the street and they were nice enough to donate [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]an orange and yellow flag (DS colors.) I just need to figure a way to hang it and we should have a real good marker for our site.

Hope you can make it for the trips. Everyone had a lot of fun last time.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have yet to see a stock DS or Raptor make it up Choke Cherry or Devil's. But most people run a v-padlle. I think if your were running some haulers and you weighed under 170 LBS. you could probably make it over, but just barely. I saw a guy I rode with this summer make it up on his buddy's stocker DS 650 but just by the skin of his teeth and in 1st gear, he also weighed 140lbs though, with 9-paddle Haulers. There isn't a dune out there that I can't make it over fairly easy. Same guy took mine over Choke Cherry in third gear at 7000 r.p.m.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

ya, should be able to make it one of those weekend plus the weekend of our little ds get together on labor day weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This fall we will be selling our toybox and probably getting a fb or fs 3000 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also we are selling our raptor. going into the bee tomorrow. We are going to get a dune buggy and probably the new DS that is rumored to be coming out. Know anybody interested in either? I havent been on here much since i have been busy this summer. Been working down at my dads office for a few weeks to pay for my new snowmobile coming this fall [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also the last 2 weeks we were out having fun at the oregon dunes. It was AWESOME.

Old 07-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just got back from my Little Sahara/St Anthonys/Montana/St Anthonys 2 week vacation. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Angry baja Boy, you were one of the guys at Little Sahara riding with us on that Saturday weren't you? I think it was you anyway.

As for the hills at St Anthonys. My Raptor made it up. My brothers DS made it up. Its a nice hill. A little small for my tastes. LOL Just kidding. Its an awsome hill and I had to go into first gear to get my fat azz up it. My brothers DS got up in 2nd no problem. I had no problems when going strait up it but going half way up and turning around the weeds growing to the right of the main lane up is a different story and for another thread. I have videos and when I buy the video card for my PC I will get them posted. As for stock Raptors getting up Choke Cherry. I have a limited addition with geckos making it up. I also have a stock Z400 making it up choke cherry on video. Hade a yoshi Z400 getting up the hill easily but for whatever reason the video camera wasn't working at the time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Didn't know it till i tried to watch it later that day. As for Devils dune. Thats one awsome dune. The only thing I saw trying to climb strait up was some modded out 250Rs and they were having no problems. I saw the same stock Z400 going up it and was going a bit sideways and got within 20' of the top. I wouldn't even attempt it but its not to say my Raptor wouldn't do it. It would be in 1st gear and very slow. It may do it, just not with me on it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Got lots to say about the trip and the riders that met us at LS Utah, I'll save it for another thread.

Old 07-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey wshrdskin im glad to hear of some one from our area that has put the hurt to this hill alls ive heard is ds and rappy's could not do this.but then everyones hill is bigger.are your bike stock or ??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS opps i should read your sig. before asking stupid questions

Old 07-14-2002, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AZ, heres the videos.

St Anthony Videos

You'll see a stock Z and a stock Limited eddition Raptor in these videos make it up Choke cherry. The 250R is modded to a 425 and climbs up the face of Devils dune like it was a walk in the park, he then turns around and jumps off the top and goes down the face. Some people got massive huevos. I have videos of Bikes and Banshees going up choke cherry as well. I also have a rail going up the face of devils dune. I'll get them posted soon. Just got the new toy for the computer today to make these videos. Not to happy with the program that came with it. Its limited to what I can do and I need to be able to adjust for brightness etc. They want $49.00 more dollars for a full version of the software. Will be searching the internet for a better program. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2002, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

Sean:

Send me an e-mail. PM isn't working right now. Glad to hear you are in on the weekends.

Wshrdskin:

Thanks for the video. I am downloading it right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: DS Can't get up the hill