CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anyone going to the Terrible 250 Race this weekend in LV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if any of you guys especially the ones from Vegas are attending. I just went down today to check out the trucks and buggies at the convention center. I saw Ivan Stewarts ride. Pretty cool. I didn't see any ATV's but tomorrow there supposed to be out in force. Let me know Later

Old 07-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

I was hoping to race that one,but it will have to wait till next time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Looks like it will be alot of fun.
Jeff

Old 07-12-2002, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Desert racers pursue their passion in Nevada
JEFF WOLF, Las Vegas Review-Journal
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
©2002 Associated Press

URL: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...626EDT7050.DTL

(07-10) 13:26 PDT LAS VEGAS (AP) --

Gravel roads and deep-rutted paths in the sun-baked wilderness might be a daunting landscape to most people, but desert racers find the environment alluring.

Their challenge is not only to conquer rugged terrain and unrelenting summer heat in a variety of vehicles but to do it faster than anyone else.

More than 50 years ago, the popularity of racing World War II-era surplus jeeps began in California and quickly spread to Arizona and Nevada because of their plentiful desert and desolate landscapes.

Today, because of population growth and environmental restrictions, no major four-wheel races are held in California and only one takes place in Arizona. Nevada, meanwhile, has become a hotbed of desert racing.

The Los Angeles-based SCORE International, the nation's oldest major desert racing organization, will hold three of its six annual events in Nevada this year. The newest race, on Saturday, is a joint venture with the Henderson Convention Center and Visitors Bureau, and Terrible Herbst Oil Co. of Southern Nevada.

The start-finish line for the inaugural SCORE Henderson's Terrible 250 will be in the city of Henderson near Las Vegas. The fastest racers are expected to complete five laps of the 50.22-mile course in less than five hours. The race, which will award nearly $500,000 in cash and product bonuses, is expected to attract about 200 teams.

No pavement is needed for these racing machines, which include motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, desert buggies and $300,000 custom-built trucks with engines that produce more than 750 horsepower.

As residential and commercial developments have started to encroach on the vast expanse of southern Nevada, Sal Fish, chief executive of SCORE, has seen bureaucracy nearly overcome logistics as the biggest hurdle to putting on a desert race.

Time is limited for a desert course near Primm, Nev., near the California state line. The land off Interstate 15 is used for major events organized by SCORE and the Best in the Desert series, which has scheduled eight races in the state this year.

But the course is on the Jean dry lake bed south of Las Vegas where a regional cargo airport is to be built by the end of the decade. The project will wipe out the site for about a half-dozen races that use existing paths and service roads.

"The big challenge in the last 15 years has been the population expansion that is encroaching on traditional race course areas," said Bob Bruno, outdoor recreation planner in the Las Vegas office of the Bureau of Land Management since 1979.

The BLM manages nearly 48 million acres of public land in Nevada -- 67 percent of the state's total land area. Only 9 million acres are closed to all vehicular use, with an additional 812,000 acres offering limited access.

But "open" and "limited" don't mean anything goes. The BLM is mindful of the desert's fragile nature, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues mandatory guidelines for land management that the BLM enforces.

Race organizers also must account for rising expenses. The price of a permit is about $200, but charges for security, course monitoring and post-race inspections add to the cost. And for large events, organizers can face an additional charge of up to $15,000 to cover the cost of BLM personnel.

But the biggest obstacle to the sport since the energy crisis in the mid-'70s has been coexisting with environmental groups.

Meet Gopherus agassizii, the desert tortoise. The habitat for the 8- to 15-pound creatures that can live 100 years is in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts of southeastern California, southern Nevada and south through Arizona into Mexico.

About 12 years ago, the desert tortoise was declared a threatened species. A conflict arose when desert race courses were deemed a threat to the tortoise's habitat.

Many environmentalists believe that because the desert tortoise has been around since the age of dinosaurs, the species should have squatter's rights to the land.

Leana Hildebrand, conservation organizer and coordinator of urban issues for the Sierra Club's Toiyabe Chapter of Southern Nevada, said, "I've seen this city grow and I can understand the wide-open spaces and the beauty of the desert, but I have issues with how it's enjoyed and how it's appreciated."

"We have a finite number of creatures, and once they're gone, they're gone," she said.

Bruno said race organizers working with the BLM have protected desert tortoise habitats.

Fish acknowledges that he and other off-road racers have changed their thinking about protecting the desert in the past 30 years, thanks in part to BLM rules that weren't always well-received.

"The changes have made for better and safer races," he said.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Jon,
We should be there......there is always the BITD Baja Mex300 in september?

Sorry got tied up yesterday(to busy at work)how did the protest go?

Jeff

Old 07-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Dude the reason you didn't see any quads is because there aren't very many entered.

SCORE doesn't usually run quads except for the Baja.

I saw Doug Eichner there and he's on a Raptor this time, says the 250R is being worked on.

I will be at the race but won't make it for the quads and bikes.

We are going to park at the end of Greenway Rd. Don't try to get up to the start/finish line unless you take the shuttle. I heard the motor homes are taking up all the spots.

Jeff, I talked to the director of SNARE. It's a new desert racing org. here. They are having a team race on Nov. 1-2-3. I think he said it's $160/team. I may be interested in doing this.

Go to snaredesertracing.com they might have more info.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Vegas650,
I will check it out......$160 a team is cheapI hope they are as good as BITD in laying out the course
I hope Doug has the updated tranny! seen alot of broke raptors(DNF) at the last race
I am having withdrawls,also just got the pictures from the last race in the mail today.
Jeff

Old 07-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff, I think they are going to use this same layout that SCORE is running.
It's a 53 mile loop. Instead of 5 laps like tommorrow, they will only do 4.
Also, I ordered the 39's today. Final price was $590.
Im getting the manifold tomorrow for $30.
AZSAND, if you read this, I need you're jetting specs on the 39's. I don't think anyone else lives in the type of climate we live in.

Old 07-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

John Gregory/Doug Eichner won on a Raptor.

Old 07-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

sorry vegas but im on metanol now and don't remember my old jetting but i will check with my mech he logs everything down.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

We got 4th in Henderson. Had lots of problems. The first lap the DS came in covered with oil, no front plastic and 4 flat tires from a crash. I got on for the 3rd lap and the bike had no more shocks and the vent hose missing from the IMS quick fill tank. Went in to pit c at 22 miles and pulled down my pants to wash all the fuel off. Have major chem. burns down the leg, belly and in the private spot! Then went another 15 miles and rolled the bike. Temp on some parts of the course was 120deg.

Quick Reply: Anyone going to the Terrible 250 Race this weekend in LV?