CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS oil analysis test results?!?!?!? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is straight form Blackstone Labs test result form.

Aluminum and nickel were found to be quite high in the sample. Aluminum may be from pistons or bearings. Nickel is often used at exhaust valve guides. 4.3% of the sample was gas contamination. So your ATV engine may have a fuel system problem. This much gas can affect wear. The oils viscosity was low for 5W/40. Probably due to the gas contamination.

Sample -------- Universal
Results -------- Averages

Aluminum 54---------- 7
Chromium 2----------- 2
Iron 26---------- 49
Copper 11---------- 25
Lead 3----------- 5
Tin 1----------- 2
Molybdenum 77---------- 2
Nickel 5----------- 2
Manganese 2----------- 1
Silver 0----------- 0
Titanium 0----------- 0
Potassium 2----------- 0
Boron 52---------- 34
Silicon 23---------- 9
Sodium 5----------- 6
Calcium 1593-------- 2169
Magnesium 206--------- 289
Phosphorus 852--------- 793
Zinc 985--------- 1040
Barium 4----------- 4

As indicated in the test results the aluminum and nickel are high. This has me worried if something is wrong with my quad or not. So this brings up the point. What is the clutch discs made of. Does is have aluminum and or nickel particles in it? If so that would explain the high levels in the oil. Now, I did take my bike to the dealer to have the ten hour service done to it. If they were lazy and didn’t change the oil. Could the aluminum be from the break in period? The next question is, how does gas get in the oil? It says less than 2% is expected. Mine had 4.3%. That is not a lot above average. But it is above average. Any insight or help with all this is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oil analysis has too manay variables that play a part in the results. The only real way for it to be completely effective is to do routine sample analysis on a regular basis - at farely precise intervals - and compare results from the previous testing. The trending should show similiar results each sample, and when something goes out of the norm, there is cause for conscern.
Unless this lab does routine testing of Rotax 653cc motors, they don't necesarily know what the "norm" is. If they do, then you can weigh more on their results.

The fiber clutch disks are aluminum, with fiber links laminated to them. If all the fiber links are missing from a disk, then the aluminum could wear. If the clutch was damged this badly then you would probably be noticing a problem while riding, and you would definitely find fiber link material jammed in the drain pulg of the crankcase, as I have before.

yes, the high aluminum could very well be from the break-in. I suggest further analysis at precise hourly intervals, and you will probably see the aluminum content decrease. If it continuously rises, then this would indicate a problem.

gas in oil - couldn't tell you on that one.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

It is possible they didn't get all the oilk out in the oil change on your 10 hr service, and this may have had a residual effect. Also when you chang that 10 hr oil you should see how many aluminum shavings are in it and the filter! It's ridiculous! Everyone I have talked to say's the same thing. Also if you are running Synthetic now it is also possible that your motor wasn't completely broken in and it will take longer for your rings to seat properly. The gas in the oil are a by-product of #1Rings not being fully seated. #2 To rich of fuel mixture. I think you will find if you were to change your oil again right now then drive your bike until the next oil change you will see a measurable difference in your test results. Try it, before you panic and do something stupid. Good Luck.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

I am not to worried about anything until I get another test done. The only real concern is the gas in the oil. What could casue this? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

The gas in oil, is most likely due to an overly rich condition.

Bat