CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need some info on putting a R1 engine in the ds

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a guy that is going to sell his Yamaha R1 engine for a very reasonable price, I know I will probably have to play with the frame to make it fit but how much frame work will it take?
Will I need a new rear axle with the spocket on the other side?
And what else will I need?
How much can I expect to get for my 2000 ds engine?

Im not 100% sure I'm going to do it.
But it's a very good price.

PS.
I know the ds and Yamaha are enemies, so if I do it I hope my ds frame doesn't kill the Yamaha engine while I'm not looking lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

If you want it to be reliable then you are talking about a LOT of frame customization. If I recall the R1 (as most sport bikes) have the sprocket / chain setup on the left hand side (as if you're riding). So there in itself lies a HUGE task. You'll need to flip the design of the swing arm (due to chain skids, rollers, etc.) and the disc brake / sprocket hub layout.

Anything can be done with enough time, money, and engineering. Just an FYI most sport bike engine swaps that I've seen look like crap and perform even worse. Since the bike was intended for 12,000rpm revs and 160+ mph top speeds, it's going to require a serious gear reduction as well.

BTW, is this R1 EFI or carb'd? If it's EFI now your talking wiring and finding spots for everything. However, an EFI setup would be much easier to turbocharge!

If you decide to go with it, good luck and keep us informed.

Old 07-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Ive seen a couple conversions, and indeed they do kick serious *** at the Drags, but that is your best case senerio, a top dog dragg racer, if that is what you want than hell ya, but you will not have a good all round dunner anymore, cause the great increase in weight would overstress everything when it comes to jumping, and the torque would twist the frame etc,.. but im not shooting the idea down, later in life im goinna try to fit a gsxr 750 eng. in a 250r/(maybe ds if cheap) frame, and test it out, just for a hobby, but i would not go ripping into a perfectly good ds hopping to make it a better all round dunner with this project.
Rob.

Old 07-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

I have to agree with these guys that unless you are just going to go to strictly drag racing its probably not worth it. I have seen guys drop crotch rocket engines in LT500 chasis and Banshee chasis. They usualy have absolutly butchered the bikes to make it work. They are then more prone to breackage and also not very comnftorable since some require a footpeg relocation and some cases extending the entire frame itself. The extra weight and bulkiness of some of the engines also plays havac with its handleing in anything other than a straight line...
But if you do it, please document it. I would love to see some pictures of it..

Old 07-25-2002, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

we should have a lightweight production ATV with twin cylinder 4-stroke motor soon, it's just a matter of time...