CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can you haul the DS on its ass upright, like to fit two in the back of a pickup???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to fit two quads in a tight space, can i stand um up like that, i ve see others do it, but that dont mean it is a good idea, seems like oil would be trying to leak into the cylinders and everywhere else, as the ds resevior is up in the nose? the other quad is a 250ex, i dont know whether i should stand either of them up like that, i dont want to do any damage????
anyone knowledgeable on this subject?
thanks
rob.

Old 08-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would not do that personally, I think if you do the oil will drain into the cylinder and screw every thing up. (left a 4 stroke push lawn mower on its side for 3 hours and would not run right after so we poured gas on it and let it burn. NOW that's fun.)

Old 08-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

The manual says that you can haul it that way.

DSWOLF.

Old 08-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

On page 84 of the 2002 operator's guide it says, "Never tip this vehicle on end for transporting. We recommend that you carry the vehicle in its normal operating position (on all four wheels).

I know that the Z400 says its okay to tip it up when towing. Must be the way the engine is designed and another thing, have you ever tried lifting the front end of your ds650 all the way up? You quickly remember that its is not light!

Old 08-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

As Sandaholic said, the manual specifically says not to transport it that way. I don't think it would be a smart thing to do....you never know what might happen, better to be safe than sorry. My $.02

Old 08-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

Not that it's right...or I reccomend it...but I have transported my 400EX standing upright many times. I've never had a problem regarding oil dripping anywhere it shouldn't. If you do it, obviously, turn the gas off first, make sure the fuel in the gas tank isn't so full that it would drip out of the vent tube on top of the tank. A buddy of mine has a Banshee that he can't stand on end very long because the tranny fluid will leak out through the tranny vent-tube. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Fanke, I noticed that you're from Kenosha. Do you know where Lena, WI is. I have some relatives that live there. If so have you heard of the Barn Tavern?

Old 08-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

fanke19,

With what you said, it seems you've proven the point that more that some machines can, and others cannot be hauled upright. I've done it with two strokes, and my Mojave before and never had any problem. Even with my lightweight Mojave, I find I'd rather just drive it onto my trailer for transport - it's just sooooooooooooo much easier!

Old 08-14-2002, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

918sTaxi, I have heard of Lena, Wisconsin, I do know where it is, about 3 hours north of me near Green Bay. I've never been there, as I don't know anybody from around that particular part of the state. I go to the far North-East and North-West corners of the state, as well as the Central part of the state, but not really to the Green Bay area.

BlackHawk, yeah, I'd rather use a trailer for transport than messing around with standing two in the back of a truck anyday. The ONLY quad we ever had a problem with standing on end was the Banshee, my 400ex, my dads 300ex, our old Fourtrax 250r's, my old Blaster, there never was a problem with those. We very rarely have to stand the quads on end in the enclosed trailer, but when you've got 4 people going riding, and you have to fit 4 quads in a limited space...you do what you got to do!

Actually, we have two trailers, our 14foot enclosed Wells Cargo, and a smaller 2-place snowmobile trailer from about 20 years ago. I use it more often, because it's lighter and cheaper to tow around. It worked fine for 2 snowmobiles from 20 years ago, but it's not wide enough to put two sleds or quads side by side facing forward. We heave them up and face them sideways, the heavier quad in front, the lighter one behind it. NOT SO FUNNY STORY, this weekend we went up to the Eagle River area to vacation and had plans to go riding in Marquette Michigan in the U.P. on Sunday. Well, on Saturday we hit about 2 miles of rough road under construction and it took it's toll on the 20+ year old axle and it cracked and bent. Long story short, we found a trailer sales and repair place in St. Germain, Wisconsin, on Monday morning and it was fixed late Tuesday afternoon and here we are back in town a day later. We never did get to go riding, and so now I joke around about missing the atv's so much that we drag them along on vacation with us! So, now we have a 20+ year old trailer with a brand new $52 axle and we had them toss in a set of new RARE custom-style trailer lights that we used 10 years ago and it should last another 10 years!