CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cuts out at full speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I am 5th gear pinned and then let of the gas, my ds just shuts off then it takes a few seconds of holding in the start button to get it started again.
I had a problem like this last winter and my dealer fixed it for free, but I dont know what they did, I think that it was the float.
Also it seems like gas comes out of the over flow, so it must be the float, how do you set the float level?
Any help will really help me out.

Thanks
Nick

Old 08-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Check your tank vent tube, it might be pinched off. This will cause the symptons that you describe. Try starting your machine with the gas cap loose and see if it still dies. If it does, than you probably have a pinched or stopped up gas tank vent hose.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

It is not the vent tube, I did fixed that problem last week.
I still really think it would be the float because of the gas coming out of the over flow.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?
Thanks Butterfungus

Old 08-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

<< When I am 5th gear pinned and then let of the gas, my ds just shuts off then it takes a few seconds of holding in the start button to get it started again. >>

If I understand you correctly, The engine will die and not re-start by the forward momentum but it will start after a few seconds on the starter once you've stopped.
Or are you trying to start it while coasting to a stop? I know it doesn't make sense but I have to ask.

It does sound like the float bowl is running low due to lack of supply and it takes a few seconds to refill. Then while it sits the level slowly comes back up and due to a high float level, probably what was adjusted a year ago by your dealer, it bleeds out the overflow.

The other possability is you have debris in the needle jet that is slowing the flow and keeping the needle from seating.

Check the flow of fuel from the tank to the carb (hose removed from the carb)if it flows good the problem is in the carb.

Old 08-07-2002, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

After i stop it wont start for a few seconds.
I did put a dyno jet kit in so it might be the needle.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just in case there is a misunderstanding - I think the needle JS is refering to is the float bowl NEEDLE VALVE - the one the float seats when the bowl is full, rather than the carb slide needle. The needle in the carb slide is the JET NEEDLE, which moves up and down inside the NEEDLE JET.

If the needle valve in the bowl isn't sealing then it will overflow, and also cause the bike to run richer while riding. This could be caused from either debris in the needle valve seat, or an improper float level adjustment like JS said. The float level adjustment could've been set wrong, or perhaps even bumped on accident and knocked out of wack while changing the main jet.

Since you know the bowl is overflowing, I'd say the bike is dying from getting too much gas - as soon as you let off the throttle the slide drops, cutting off air, but you still got that rush of fuel being helped into the motor by gravity since the needle valve isn't sealing, causing the bike to flood, hence the difficulty in re-starting.

This is just an idea, the only one coming to mind right now, but a good place to start. If this turns out to be the problem, you'll want to change the plug and re-check for correct jetting later, just in case the main jet was decided on while this problem already existed.