CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

rage'n toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said I got them at $15685 OTD I don't think that was too bad.
$16771 list
$300 title and license
$1160 tax
$995 tow package

I figure I squeezed them for about $3600.00. Maybe I could have found a better deal out there but the wife and I really liked the look and craftmanship of the rage'n. Seems to be put togehter really nice.

King Rap- SunCity RV on 91st and Grand.

AZ Sand- No gen on this one. That is a 3k option. I found a pretty good gen at costco for $500.00 so I figure I'll go with that. It does have the pumping station which is going to be right next to where the gen plugs in so I figure I'd save the money for such little inconvienence.

Jetsnow- I couldn't find a dealership in my area that carried the extreme's. Granted I didn't drive over to Mesa where all the dealerships are. We did look at quite a few and I thought the Rage'n was the best deal out there.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Just some advice that I have learned over the last couple of years shopping for a 5th Wheel. when you are trying to load up for a trip all that you put in, goes to the gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating). quads, riding gear, food and water and all the other crap that goes out lawn chairs, bbq's and whatever. when a maker comes up with a gvwr thats it, there is no fudge factor so if you go over you could start having problems. I have seen a few trailers that were overloaded and caused the tow vehicle to lose control.
My advice is do some research first find out what your limits are on your tow vehicle first. Don't rely on the salesperson. (I had a camper dealer try to sell me a camper that would have put me over my vehicle weight by 2000 pounds and that was dry) then find out what your quads and gear are gonna weight (ballpark) and start looking from there. and remember all the bells and whistles add to the weight. If it has a 100 gallon fresh water tank your looking at just about 800 pounds there.
Sorry its such a long post but this is a major purchase and also has a potential to be a dangerous one.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

King Rap- Absolutely, it's got to have a\c.

It's got:
A\C
Stereo\CD with speakers built into the roof
Refrig\Freezer
Stove\Oven
Shower\Tub
Toilet\Vanity\Wardrobe
Sleeps 6
I'm guessing I could get 2 full size bikes and my sons in it
18 gallon fueling station
Heat
Walkable roof w\ ladder
TV antenna hookups
Double axle

That's all I can think of right now.

We're excited.

Midlfinger- From what I've seen on the inet the Expedition can haul up to 7900lbs. I have a guy here at work with the same vehicle and he pulls 3 horses at over 5k. I am having the dealer install the stabilizer bars and equilizer hitch to help out even more. I think I should be ok. The dry weight of the trailer is only 4730. I figure another 1000lbs with bikes and gear. Then water will be added when we get to our destination. Even with another 1000lbs of gas and water I'm still at 6730lbs which should be fine.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

This is just my .02$ on the generator issue. There is a reason that the generator is a 3000$ option they are way better than the ones that you buy for 500 bucks. My buddie has a colman 5000 watt gen that was 500 bucks and he hates it. They are loud and heavy and you have to lug them around in and out of the truck and so on. I only tell you this because my buddie loves how quite my generator is and how you turn it on from inside the trailer, now he wishes that he had spent the extra to have one. Like I said this is just my opinion and you know about opinions...

Old 08-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the built in gen. But my pockets are not that deep. I had to cut as many corners as I could.

Old 08-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Marky, can you leave anything stock? LOL!!!

Old 08-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

918staxi you sound like your good to go with the weight. but thats the point you want to make sure before you buy take the time and do some research. rage'n are nice I looked and looked and still haven't decided on a toy hauler yet. the desert fox is nice but no 5th wheel which is what I prefer. I would go with the rv generator over a portable one. like Marky get a onan if you do, they are the best for rv. I know a couple of guys whos trailers came with genrac and have had all sorts of problems with them.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Marky, a couple ?'s

1) How much and where did you get your Onan gen?

2) You only run your gen for a couple hours a day to charge the internal batteries then turn the gen off? Does that allow you to run the a\c or heat all day?

3) The f-150 and expedition are very similar so if you don't mind how much was it to install your airbags and shocks.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Below is my experience, good luck with your purchase. You may not do the type of driving (elevation changes) we do or you may have a lighter trailer so, I will not tell you what to do, I will simply tell you what I had to do:

We bought a 22' Weekend Warrior this year. The triler weighs about 5300 lbs. Add 1000 lbs for quads and 200 lbs. for other gear and we are at 6500 lbs. (without water.)

120 gallon water tank X 8.33 lbs/gallon = 1000 lbs.

I am now at 7500 lbs. My Durango (5.9L with 3.73 rear end) was rated for the weight. We would not fill up on water until the last town before Sand Mt. (where we usually go. The travel over to Sand Mt. Nevada (go over Donner Pass 6500' elevation)is a climb from 25' above sea level to nearly 6500' elevation. The Durango was in first gear with plenty of torque but, a max speed of 35 mph on the steep grades. If it shifted to second it would not be able to hold it and would fall back to first (lots of hunt and pecking.)

Once filled up with water there looked to be too much weight on the rear end of the Durango (even with the equalizer hitch.)

After our first trip up there we bought an Excrusion with the 7.3 PS Diesel. We knew this was a possibility when we bought the trailer.

On the steepest grades the Excursion slows down to 50-55 mph. I am sure I could make that 65 mph with a new chip ($350 about) but, I am not sure how long we will have it (see below.)

I don't want to sell the Durango but, it doesn't have what it takes to haul the trailer. I hear the Expedition is coming out with a 6-cyl diesel next year that will have nearly the same power as the 7.3L (this is the Excursion's last year.) If the Expedition is built to handle the weight I will get the new Expedition as I like the size of that rig much better.

Old 08-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

They have pushed back the release of the new 6 cylinder diesel to atleast 2005. just FYI [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: rage'n toy hauler