CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2000, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to little sahara last tues. night,tested all day wed. 145 main jet, with the dial-o-jet set on the lowest setting, stock rwr pilot , almost no hesitation, and lots of power.Started getting excited. My son showed up on wed. night with the accelerator pump kit and jets that came in the mail after I left. Tried to start the bike to move it to put the acc.pump on and it would not start-no spark. The control module went out .Like a dumbass I left my stock one at home. Called Ron Woods Racing and they are sending me a new one. Getting closer.

Old 05-11-2000, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am looking into replacing the handlebars. I want some handlebars that I can reach more easily when sitting back on the seat. Also, I'd like to get new grips, but can't due to the unusual notches in the handlebar ends.

Old 05-12-2000, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I received my reparied pipe within about one week after Ron Wood Racing got it. I guess I can't complain about that.

Old 05-13-2000, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I just noticed something the other day while examaning the handlebars on a DS at the dealer.

The handle grips look exactly like those that fit on Bombardier's Jet Ski's!

Old 05-14-2000, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Anyone not using an accelerator pump or dial-a-jet is missing out on great throttle response.

Today I got the RW pipe installed again. It was just as hard as the first time I installed it, but I figured out the trick to getting on. Someone else mentioned using allen type bolts so that is one trick. The other trick is to have the small U-shaped header half way inserted into the other header pipe to get the thing to allign. Also, the pipes will allign to the exhaust ports but will not be inserted all the way into the ports. At this point, I started to thread all 4 bolts a couple turns. After this, it it goes quickly. One other tip, I used tie wraps to hold the oval mounting brackets in place to avoid scratching the pipes from the brackets moving around as you struggle with the pipes. I also used WD40 on the pipes where they joined to make it easier to mate them.

I had more bad luck with the pipe today. That mounting bracket at the muffler is a piece of crap. Today both rubber pieces split in two causing the pipe to disconnect at the rear. It probably happened after a jump. The rubber pieces do not have a bolt through them, which is unbelievable. I would recommend that everyone replace the rubber pieces before they brake. Temporarily, I removed one of the cylindrical spacers and used it in place of the rubber piece.

As far as tuning goes, I started with the stock carb and stock air filter. I was able to get the DS running pretty good by only changing the main jet to #175 and removing the air filter cover. The jet needle position didn't seem to make much difference. I was able to reach at least 9000 RPM while riding the DS. I could beat a banshee with pipes and a TRX250R, but I could beat those when the DS was stock. There are still lowend/throttle response issues with the stock carb. It is still difficult to get the frontend off the ground. During previous testing with the complete RW kit and accelerator pump, given good traction, I could pop a wheelie no problem. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that all three of the following are needed to get decent gains in HP - the combination of better carburetation, better exhaust, and better airflow. I will be switching to the RW carb again.

Old 05-14-2000, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Today I rode the DS without making any more changes to it. Now that I have the tachometer installed, I noticed that I was not shifting fast enough during drag races. With the RW pipe, the RPMs shoot up fast, although the power is smoother than the stock pipe so you may not feel the pull as much, which is deceiving. I was reving the DS way out to over 7000 RPM, waiting to feel the pull. Reving out too far will slow your acceleration during a drag. This is the mistake I was making. The way the DS is geared, you have to shift super, super fast through the first 3 gears with the RW kit to have maximum acceleration. I am considering a 38 tooth rear sprocket to lenghten first gear. I was so used to using the stock powerband that it is taking a change in riding style to get the speed benefits out of the RW kit. I kinda prefer a hit in the powerband though. I guess I'll have to get used to a smooth powerband.

Old 05-16-2000, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE THE STAGE 1 AND 2 KIT INSTALLED AND IT IS QUITE IMPRESSIVE

Old 05-22-2000, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The baffle in my RW pipe is coming loose AGAIN and is getting louder after 2 weekends of riding with the repaired pipe. Nice fix Mr. Wood! Also, the coating on the header pipe is starting to flake off into tiny pieces of dust. With a memorial day weekend planned for riding, I'm not sure what to do. One thing is for sure, a brand new pipe is the minimum I'll accept otherwise I'll be filing a formal complaint with the BBB. If anyone else is disgusted with their kit, e-mail me ASAP.

Old 05-22-2000, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Old 05-23-2000, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I'm told that the pipe is a racing pipe and part of the maintenance is to repack the muffler. Seems like a pain in the butt to have to repack every few weeks. If I just don't repack then I'm basically running an open pipe which I could have done with the stock pipe by removing the spark arrestor and taking out the baffle.

I finally got the oxygen sensor boss welded onto the header pipe today. I should have my Autometer air/fuel monitor hooked up to my SplitSecond/NTK oxygen sensor in a few days.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?