CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you guys got ripped. I wouldn't spend that much money on something that doesn't even gain power. I'll really laugh at you when you blow up the motor due to jetting problems. I will never buy a DS. Thanks you guys for proving to me that they really aren't worth the money.

Old 05-23-2000, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Do you really think that any of us give a crap what you do and don't want to buy?? I think that we will have the last laugh though when they ban all two strokes. That was one of my main reasons for buying a DS it is a four stroke that can kick lots of A$$ . Not worth the money how much do you have into your banshee? So before you spout off about somthing that you probably never ridden get your facts staight.

Old 05-25-2000, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My air/fuel monitor is up and running now. Hopefully this will help me get the jetting dialed in once and for all.

Old 05-25-2000, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

i bought champion spark plugs from NAPA work better,dunno number.Lookin for oil filter,dealer many miles a way.Tip use your choke to start below 60 or the plugs foul.Cold blooded machine here,take extra plugs w/you or good walking shoes.

Old 05-25-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yet another ignorant Yamaloser owner. :-)

Old 05-25-2000, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Out the door I still spent less for my Banshee with all my mods than you did just on your DS. When they decide to ban all two strokes (think about this... they will have to ban two stroke dirt bikes too) I will just drive across the border to Mexico to ride. Heck maybe I'll race the Baja 1K. And about me being a lozer since when has everyone that owns a Banshee been classified as a lozer? When this new thing called a DS650 came out? I hardly think that the ds650 has had it's bugs worked out yet. Just read the last 6 pages of this and tell me that it has. By the time it will be there will be more than a few bikes better and ready to take it on in modified form. Remember what has been around since 1987 and ruled for 13 years!

Old 05-25-2000, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yup, it's been around for 13 years all right, and they still haven't improved it!

Well, I take that back, those exciting, performance improving graphics and color changes have really helped out with the performance!

As far as the last six pages of this thread, well if you paid attention to the title of this thread, it's about an aftermarket kit, not about the DS in stock trim. Admittedly, the DS has had some problems, but so has every vehicle ever manufactured. The Banshee has problems of it's own, that Yamaha has never fixed. At least Bombardier is attempting to resolve these issues. They didn't even wait for next year's model, like most manufacturers do.

Anybody that has to go to another forum and claim how much better their ATV is over the one that that particular forum is about, is a LOSER!

That would be YOU!

Go play in the Yamaha forum were all the other Yamaha fans will surely worship you.

Old 05-25-2000, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have played this game before with the ego-tripped banshee owners coming into this forum. Personally I am tired of it. It is obvious that you are interested in the DS or you wouldn't be here.
I haven't seen any of the DS owners at other forums bragging on how good the DS is. If you have ever ridden one you would know that is a very good bike, yes it has a few problems but if you have read the other posts you would see that most of the problems are being worked on by bombardier or caused by lack of customer support from Ron Woods. I have yet to run into a problem that took more than 10 min to fix.
In fact my buddy rode it yesterday who has owned a250r, a banshee, and a quadzilla, and he said that it is the sweetest bike he has ridden yet.
All I've seen is brand X owners coming into the DS forum trying to make us look bad for spending money. Isn't that what it's for? You also get what you pay for.
I am looking forward to seeing the new bikes that are coming out. It will be a breath of fresh air when there are other high performance bikes out there except for the same old bikes with new colors and graphics. (honda 400EX is a great example look at the 2001's I love the line new team honda inspired graphics WOW!)
As for two strokes take a look at the new laws coming out for snowmobiles. I own a 700 RMK and it won't be long before it is just a really nice paperweight.
So in parting I think that I speak for almost everyone here when I say that you are more than welcome to post on this forum. Just post useful info because we don't want to hear how good your brand X bikes are.
We all ride different bikes, but we all ride for one reason, THE FUN OF IT.

Old 05-27-2000, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wheel spin is another factor I failed to consider with the RW kit installed. With the extra HP at the lowend, my tires are breaking loose more than they do with the stock setup, which slows me down at takeoff during a drag race. The wheel spin was causing me to accelerate SLOWER off the line than the stock setup. I finally realized this when I was riding on terrain where the tires hooked up. Being able to get the power to the ground is critical. Also, the DS is geared so low for the first 3 gears. With the extra HP at the lowend, first gear is almost not needed. I think that slightly taller gearing would make the DS accelerate faster off the line because it seems like the limiting factor in acceleration off the line is how fast I can shift through the first 3 gears. Each time you shift you have to let off the gas (except for sand drags) and for a brief moment you are not accelerating. Less shifting could save a few tenths of a second assuming that the DS has the power to pull the taller gears without bogging, which I think it does. I have the 38 tooth sprocket installed now and will try it out on Sunday. I may need to go even smaller on the rear sprocket for my weight - 170lbs. I'm looking at some larger tires for better hookup also. I have the jetting almost right on now. The Air/Fuel monitor works pretty good, although it turns out I had already got the jetting pretty close without it. That accelerator pump kicks some butt.

Old 05-29-2000, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scooby: How is your tunning going? Are you running a dial-a-jet with the accelerator pump working and what is your latest jetting? I have had no problems with my pipe. I'm running a 34 tooth rear sprocket which works great for me. I'm only 140lbs. If you get one get ready for some serious top end. I'm estimating about 95mph. I'm running the stock jetting except for the main jet which I changed to a 147.5 after Ron did further testing. So far the jetting has worked ok. I have all the parts for the accelerator pump but, I'm waiting to hear what works better. Accelertor pump or dial-a-jet. Thanks for info.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?