CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scuba, it looks as though you and Luba are doing Ron Woods tuning for him. I can't imagine that he is in a different enough climate that you would be so far off in jetting. Scary. I was looking at the Woods Stage One kit, but maybe for now I'll just go with a CT slip on silencer and wait until Ron ships out systems that don't need further development. At least you guys have an inkling of what you're doing ( I hate jacking with carbs - did it for years on my sleds ). I hope that you guys kick some serious butt once everything's fine tuned on your DS's.

Old 04-03-2000, 11:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm beginning to get stumped on the hesitation problem. I thought it was a pilot circuit problem, but I'm not so sure anymore. I went all the way down to a #22.5 pilot jet from a #40 and didn't notice much difference in idle or the pilot air screw effect, and the skipping or discontinuity was still there. I'm not sure if it was any better or any worse, which is frustrating. I could try to go lower on the pilot jet. I'm wondering if the pilot air screw was changed and is not the correct size air screw for the size pilot jet. On the other hand, it seems like there is some kind of discontinuity between the pilot circuit and the jet needle circuit. My patience is running out!!!

Old 04-04-2000, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I did some reading on accelerator pumps and I think it is a momentary lack of gas (lean condition) as the throttle is suddenly opened. I probably should be running the pilot jet as rich as possible instead of going down in size. I can run the jet needle richer, set the idle higher and get a high flow air filter. I'll try to enable the accelerator pump as well.

Old 04-04-2000, 05:26 AM
Range Rover

Jpfeiffer-I just installed the kit Wood sent me, I haven't touched the carb yet and mine isn't running too bad. Even with the slight hesistation problem that kit rocks.

Old 04-04-2000, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think that you're getting more from the CDI unit or the pipe kit right now? I wonder what kind of HP loss could happen with a spark arrester kit? I understand that you need one in Mich. Then again, that's only if you ride where the DNR/Forestry guys can stop you and do the arrester test on your pipe.

Old 04-04-2000, 08:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ron is sending me the missing hardware for the accelerator pump.

I decided to play with the jetting on the stock carb since I had it tuned perfectly for the stock exhaust, to the point of consistently beating other stock DS650s. I am getting some richer main jets to try.

The Ron Wood Stage One Kit is in the May issue of 4-Wheel ATV Action - it just arrived today. They didn't mention any hesitation or jetting issues or less than perfect pipe fit. They showed some dyno runs of the stock DS650, stage 1 kit, and stage III kit. The stage III kit sacrificed low end for top end which surprissed me - not sure that is what I want.

Old 04-07-2000, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

I just got back from Little Sahara in Oklahoma, on a 1 1/2 day test/jetting for my Ron Woods stage 1 do it yourself kit. I had heard about the problem with the carb to airbox snorkle collapsing, so I cut out the straight sect. of the snorkle and fabricated a 2 1/2" to 3" steel tube adapter and clamped it in place. I then put in a 145 main jet and it had no power at all. put the 155 back in and noticed an increase in power, put in a 160 , even more power. Could not find any jets larger than the 160 so we drilled out an extra 160 to whatever the next largest(?) drill bit we could find, and it ran even better. I am going to call Ron Woods racing today and see if they will send me some more jets. I am also thinking about getting a dial-o-jet ($68)to help the jetting process, it also atomizes the fuel and injects the fuel before it enters the carb. Maybe this may help the slight hesitation problem off the bottom end. I am anxious to see if the accelerator pump will do, let us know SCOOBY .I can see now where I did not spend enough time rejetting when I had just the CT pipe. It sure is frustrating being one of the guinea pigs.

BIGDADDY,
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!

Old 04-07-2000, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry everyone, there must have been something clogged or sticking or whatever inside the ron wood carb when I originally installed it and was fouling plugs. Today I went back to the default #40 pilot jet & #155 main jet that came with the ron wood carb and the DS ran much better and faster and was no longer fouling plugs. The hesitation wasn't quite as bad.

bigdaddy, now that I think about it, it doesn't surprise me that a main jet greater than #155 is the optimum jetting. A harley dealership that sells the HSR42/45 kits said that the harleys run around a #170 main jet. Also, the stock DS carb runs #165 main jet with stock air filter and stock exhaust! In fact, I ordered some main jets for the stock carb in the range of 167.65 to 175. I am going to pick up some main jets for the ron wood carb at the harley dealership on Saturday - probably a #160, #165, #170, #175, if they have them. I just got my K&N filter to run without the airbox and my much needed tachometer! Also, the accelerator pump is here, but I might hold off on that for now. Have you played with the jet needle position yet? I actually bought a #95, #97, and #98 jet needle to try. You can fine tune the low/mid range with the needle position or by swaping needles.

Old 04-09-2000, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well today I installed a K&N air filter that sits on the back of the ron wood carb. I went up from a #155 main jet to a #165. The DS seemed to run a little worse with this setup - mainly related to the air filter I think. I ended up running a #170 main jet. I confirmed today that I am getting less power in the midrange than with stock components - I noticed it during drags and on a dirt track. It could still be a jetting issue, so Sunday I will try one more time to adjust the height on the jet needle.

Has anyone ridden with a stock DS650 to compare to the ron wood stage one DS650? I did today and the difference was not very much in a drag. Part of the reason was that I was running a #175 main jet at the time which was too big. And like I mentioned the midrange acceleration can bog slightly where this never happend with stock components. Also, on takeoff I spin the rear tires like crazy which gave the stock DS650 a lead off the line. My tires are getting worn out, more so than the stock DS650. Maybe with the extra lowend HP I can take off in 2nd gear.

Old 04-09-2000, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

It sucks your having all these problems with your kit. I know for a fact that mine is a lot faster than a stock ds. My DS really flys now. Your carb has to be off or something. Cause all I did was bolt-on what they sent me and other than an occassional backfire, everything rocks! they are going to send me some pilot jets for the backfiring, my K&N, and a thumb throttle cable.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?