CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2000, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I have no choice at this point and nothing more to lose. The pipe & carb are packed up and ready to be sent back to Ron for him to fix/exchange/checkout. I certainly won't be holding my breathe waiting to get the parts back. I'm going to run the stock parts in the mean time.

Old 04-25-2000, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A question has come up about the gray ventilation hose on the ron wood 45mm carb, that comes out the side of the carb. Where is everyone running the hose to? Is the hose supposed to be plugged, at atmospheric pressure, or at lower pressure? I noticed with the stock carb if you leave the clear hose that runs to the airbox disconnected the DS doesn't run smooth and hesitates.

Is anyone going to Little Sahara www.waynoka.com this weekend? I would like to see how your bike is running and compare it to mine with the rev box only installed.

Old 04-25-2000, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby,

If it's been less than 30 days and I'm assuming you placed the order on a Credit Card, just return the parts, then call the CC company and tell them the parts were defective and you returned them. Ensure to keep a copy of the shipping receipt and you WILL get your money back. I had to do this once on a computer monitor. Unfortunetely it took me 3 months to et my money, but fact is, I GO MY MONEY.

Green is Mean
'87 Mojave
'87 Tecate
'00 DS650 [Bigger IS Better]

Old 04-25-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

I also failed to mention, if you've already played it cool with Ron Woods and he's blowing you off. Then this leaves you with only one alternative, threaten to call the Better Business Bureau on him.

Green is Mean
'87 Mojave
'87 Tecate
'00 DS650 [Bigger IS Better]

Old 04-25-2000, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

I just ran mine back to the air box and put a filter on it. We are going to Little Sahara tues. night May 2nd, to May 7th. Don't like the overcrowding on snake hunt weekend. I sent RW racing a nasty letter complaining about the off idle hesitation, and the upper rpm power flutter problem, lack of an accelerator pump ,and their general attitude about the problems. I think that he thought he could make a fast buck off of us low life couch riders! The problem is , I think he has!!!!! stay in touch, BIGDADDY.

Old 04-25-2000, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

155 main k&n on the carb needle clip one up from the middle, with the dial-o-jet set on the second lowest setting. I have not had the time(rain) to play with the d-o-j yet. It did seem to help the throttle reponse, but I still get the off idle bog and the upper rpm power flutter.I mounted the d-o-j in the body of the carb. Got the d-o-j from thunder products. Power wheelies are from the mid range power band above the off idle hesitation. I will let you know how it runs once I have had a chance to dial it in. BIGDADDY

Old 04-25-2000, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Spoke to Ron Wood extensively today. I inquired about tunning,porting and the stage two kit. He also has redynoed the stage one kit and has improved on the power gain of the stage one kit by moving the needle to the lowest position and changing the main jet to a 145. Dyno test were down usung fouth gear only which should indicate a true one gear reading. If I'm not mistaken normally you can raise the hp readings by shifting during the process. He did also mention that the changes do improve on the bogging that occurs durring shifting in the upper gears. The stage two dyno results are in. The kit produces another 4.6 hp starting from 5500 rpm. I ask him if the engine lost any bottom end and he said no. It actually gained some torque but did not give me any numbers.

I also spoke to Graydon Proline today about nerfbars and the said they were about a month away from production. They also mentioned that they just completed an exhaust system with about a 6hp throught the power band. They did not mention from what rpm to what rpm the increase occured. They did also mention that they are porting the head for increase of about 3 hp. Cost of the porting is $390.00 and turn around time is about 3 weeks.

Can someone post the info on the company with the turbo kit for the DS. Name and phone number would be appreciated.

85hp nitrous scrambler
DS650 in need of more power

Old 04-25-2000, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's odd that Ron mentioned the bogging in 4th and 5th gears. I just talked to him on monday about the bogging and he said "I don't know what to tell you. I have not received any calls about these problems". He did mention the change in jetting though and the new dyno run.

Old 04-26-2000, 05:54 AM
Range Rover

Scooby & Bigdaddy- That sucks you are having problems with your kit. I was running a little rich so I leaned it up, I went from a 40 pilot to a 25, a 150 main to a 170, and moved clip up 3 spots. Didn't have time to run went to Leota ran a loop and read plugs. Big mistake pulled plug whole thing was white, lucky didn't seize it. Will richen this week. I don't think my kit WAS off as far as you guys. Maybe you got one of the first ones, I don't know. I will not give up on this kit, and I will get it running right. Did you guys think I should hook up the accelerator pump? And Scooby I just ran my gray vent hose to the frame rail, where the stock two lines were. Also that turbo kit was the company from Michigan?

Old 04-26-2000, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LUBA, With that pilot jet and that jet needle position did you notice an improvement in lowend and midrange power? The lowend improvement will be hampered by more hesitation without the accelerator pump.

Quick Reply: IS THE RON WOODS STG 1 THE BOMB FOR THE DS?