CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEED HELP!!!!!! Please answer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I'll tell you guys about the first trip with the Toy Hauler. AWESOME!!! That thing is pretty heavy though. The Expedition did fine other than gas mileage. That was pretty bad. But the thing was literally a home away from home. My 6 month old daughter even had a great time. I highly recommend getting one if you love to camp and are in the market.

Anyway here is my problem. About ten minutes into my ride my oil light came on.( While doing some work on it last week I pulled the oil line off and oil came out. I plugged it up then put the line back on. I figured that I lost about a quart so I put a quart back in.) So I got back to camp and checked the oil. It seemed to be ok. I couldn't figure it out. I let it sit a while and then started it back up again after about 5-10 minutes it came back on. Also I noticed that my bike is running very hot, I can feel the heat coming off the pipe on my leg, before rejetting I couldn't feel that. My fan ran almost the while time also. And we were in Flagstaff so it wasn't that hot. Here are my questions

Could the bike running hot cause that light to come on?

Could I have hurt the bike ridding it while it's that hot?

Am I running to rich or to lean if my bike is running really hot?

I'm already at a 190 do I need to go up?

I still rode my bike for about 45 mins but never got past 3rd gear, hope I didn't kill it.

please help

Old 08-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yes your light will come on. It is a temp warning light also.
Did you hurt anything? Could have but not likely.
If you are running hot you are running lean. So you need to try going up another size or two on your main jet.

Couple things to look at. Did you check your coolant level? If its low you probably blew a head gasket. Is your radiator caked up with any dirt?

Old 08-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would try the 195 main,I ran lean with the same set up..untill I put in the 195 main
My head pipe would glow red with the 190 main...

Old 08-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I would understand if u were down at sealevel with a 190 but if i am correct you went up to flaggstaff for the weekend. Thats an elevation of about 7000ft. A 190 should be fine for up there. Did you look at your plug? Sean

Old 08-26-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

02 Baja- Now that you say so I think that the coolant might have been just a tad bit low. I'm going to get some of that engine ice and try that out. So that light will come on if it's hot?

Jeff- 195 huh, could me running lean cause me to run hot then?

Jetsnow- so if I go up in elevation I need to go down in jets? Also I noticed that it was running a little hot down here as well. No I didn't have the right tool to take out the plug.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

You might be lean on the low end. Did you try moving the needle up or opening the mixture screw richening it up?

Old 08-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Right now I have the needle on the 3rd groove from the top. I have the mixture screw at the stock position.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

I found this to be a common problem if you did not bleed the system during the oil change process. The bleeder screw (if you don't already know) is behind the oil filter.

Old 08-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

While you guys are on the jettiong subject what should i jet my stock ds at? Like the neddle postion? thanks Erik

Old 08-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I would check the plug and see if you were lean. I was up at the cinders 2 weeks ago. It was weird, but befor I left Mesa I dropped one jet size from a 155 to a 145. It was so lean it was unreal. I ended up running the same jet I normally run in Glamis a 155 and it ran great. I checked the plug and it was a light tan and no black anywhere.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!!!!! Please answer.