CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NEED HELP!!!!!! Please answer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I finally got the right tool to pull the plug out. Turns out that I was running really really rich. The plug was black. In fact one of them still had some oil on it. I was running a 190 so I was going to go up to a 195. Well after pulling the plug I went to a 185. It was still bogging down when hitting the throttle really fast. It idled ok but would pop and bog when hitting the gas quickly. After dropping to a 180 and playing with the air mixture screw a little it sounds like it's running ok now. I'll check the plug after the next ride. Could I have to adjust the needle? I have it on the 3rd groove right now.

Anyway I changed the oil and put new anti freeze in so hopefully it will run much cooler and I won't get the oil\temp light.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think you're on with the jetting now - 3rd groove is where you need to be, and your main sounds good now too, considering the altitude and fowling. I'm a 195 at sea level, lidless like you.
If, and I say If, you by chance are overheating due to coolant loss, it could also be from a leaking water pump seal. There is a weaphole directly below the water pump housing - check it for drips. If this weaphole gets clogged with debris, then the water is forced into the crankcase, which will be evedent by frothy oil on your dipstick, and you will notice the oil level on the stick rise. You will also notice excessive oil condensate on your breather filter (or coming out the breather hose if it has no filter). If this has or does ever happen, you'll want to replace both seals (there are 2) and the shaft as well - parts total about $23. Just a little heads-up, in case!

Old 08-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

My oil looked really good when I changed it so I don't think that's the case. Thanks for the head's up though. I'll keep and eye on it. I'm hoping the the incorrect jetting is what was causing the bike to run hot. I had it at idle for a good while the other night and the oil light didn't come on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll know more this weekend when I go riding.

My friend and his girl just bought a couple z400's so I'm going to show them around a little. (if they can keep up)