CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh guys

In two weeks there is going to be a Atv Drag racing event In southern Wisconsin. Its going to be run by the Monkey butt atv club, I went to the spring run where a ds won first place in his class against about 10 craptors.. I going to be there for my first real Drag race on grass with a light tree. There will probly be a couple of ds's but mostly craptors. Here there web site http://monkeybuttatv.com you have to look under event details..

I'm running lidless dynojet 190 main with kn and procircuit. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to run this drag. I know to start in second but I've seen too many ds's pop a wheely and have to let off the gas and loss the race. I think what i mit do is lean forward for a second and then lean back once i've gotten to high rpm what do ya think any suggestions thanks

Old 08-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is it on dirt?sand?asphault.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 08-29-2002, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

.. I going to be there for my first real Drag race on grass with a light tree.

I think it is grass. What I would do is lean forward and short shift second a tranfer your weight to the rear at the same time this works for my on grass. Hope it works.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Grass is 100% traction until it gets all mangled after a few runs - put your gnads on the tank and kiss your headlight, and after you get going move to the rear and keep the front light.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I 2nd hightower's reply. Grass is a whole different animal and theres minimal wheel slip. What are you running for tires? Turf Tamers work well in grass and allow you to break loose some what. Good luck!

Wait a minute!, What's a craptor owner doing telling a short bus driver good luck?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL!

Old 08-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have stock tires pretty good tread about 3/4 but I thought I mit switch side so i have better bite. I think hightower is right kiss the headlight till you start moving then lean back. Last time i was there I think there was at least 100 atvs cool huh. The general idea to start in second right. I have a whole lot more power then before I jetted/slipon. How about using the clutch dont use it or use it?? This next weekend I'm going to work on lanches!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defintiely use the clutch, but once the throttle is snapped open it should stay there the entire race. Just make quick, positive shifts with the throttle wide open for maximum acceleration and lower e.t.'s.

Old 08-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Now ya talkin Rockey, that with what Hightower said, that's one mean combo!! Wins alot of races... now, timing would be the most important!

Old 08-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

I was riding once and I think i did that by mistake. I was crossing a brige and there we cars comeing that i did see so I put her into overdrive didnt even think just shifted and each time I shifted it poped a small wheelie ie on concrete. and that was before I jetted/slipon her. That ds will move when you what her too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I wonder if that will happen on the grass?? I bet ya if the compition is see that they sh#! there pants[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

FYI - the DS's transmission is not like a Honda's - if you don't use the clutch when shifting you will eventually bend shift forks, and that's no cheap fix.
Also, holding the throttle pegged and not letting off when shifting can cause clutch slip after mods are done and HP is increased, but heavier clutch springs will remedy this.

Quick Reply: DS Drag racing