CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 03:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't disagree with any of this, and I have to take the word of somebody who is much more experienced than I to be true.
Undoubtedly though, a pegged throttle and clutchwork is failsafe, and unless I'm racing for slips its what I'll stick with. I always shifted the hondas with no clutch and throttle chops, and when I first dragged my DS I instinctively did the same, and immediately realized it didn't like it as much. Perhaps with some more practice with my timing I could perfect it, after all the hondas have always been raved about for their inherent smooth shifting and perhaps I was spoiled with them, but for me its better safe than sorry.

I do have to wonder about the advantages of one method over another though, and without perfecting both I can't really compare the two. See what you guys have done?! No, this is no arguement, but rather a sharing of experiences and opinions that we all can appreciate.
So which one loses the most time - slipping a clutch for a fraction of a second, or chopping fuel for the same? Both simply remove the load from the mesh so things can move, one slingshots after release, the other ramps up more smoothly. Which one allows the bike to coast the fastest after the load is removed - the freewheel method or the method where the coasting has to overcome piston compression? See where I'm going? Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong angle. Keep the replies coming...I've got a long night ahead of me here at work...and I'm gonna be doing some serious dragging at Silver Lake in 12 days (no slips though).

Old 09-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, by the by, did you guys see Domi's thread - he bent his forks. Wonder if it was drag induced?

Old 09-05-2002, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Basicly were talking about the same thing unloading the trans so that we can change gears. Thanks knutz post a reply on here if ya find out about that guy I'd like to know.
Is anybody else here going to this drag event?? post if you are and I'll email ya.
BTW there is a brand new 650 engine on ebay I'd buy it if i had the money!!

As for the method of shifting im going to try knutz sudjestion and try to get the shifts down to that sweat spot! when I'm riding this weekend!

Old 09-05-2002, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, I dont think there is any way in the world a throttle chop and shift with no clutch could ever beat a WOT power shift. SOTP is hard to prove, but when you run at the track the timeslips don't lie. I have yet to meet a hardcore racer with a stock manual tranny that lifts from the throttle when racing. These are guys that run heads up racing for money not bragging rights. I am still a little unclear on whether Knutz shifts at WOT with no clutch or if he chops the throttle. I have tried to shift at WOT with no clutch and just as I expected the hubs will not budge with all that torque on it. Preloading the shifter, using the clutch, and WOT is the proven method of success among drag racers. A pro-shifted tranny is also the way to go, but forget about trail riding with that tranny.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looking at the physics of it all - it seems like the bike would "coast" faster with the clutch in than with compression braking acting upon a throttle chop, even though both of these are only occuring for fractions of a second. That, coupled with all that which Rockey just said, makes me stick to the clutch shifting at Wide Open Throttle and not take any unnecesary chances with the transmission.

hey, you guys seen The Fast and the Furious? I want Nos!

Old 09-05-2002, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha. most of the ricers dont even know what nitrous oxide system is. They really believe it is pronounced NAAAAWWWWWS

Old 09-05-2002, 05:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sure would be a fun toy. Fun project to install, fun to play with, cheapest HP there is I do believe! I even think Mandy would get a kick outa me having it! Its funny - you mention nitros to poeple who don't have a clue, and they think you're an idiot. They're like "Nitros on a quad??!!!! You're nuts!!!". I think I may actually consider it!
I really started thinking about it last week - I was at Autozone and picked up a bottle of Nos brand octane boost, and it comes in a little blue miniature nitros bottle look-alike. next thing you know the movie was on TV. its like its calling to me...

Old 09-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

i shift without letting off the throttle. but i do miss ALOT of gears and break cams.

i'm working on a override tranny that should be ready real soon.