CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to check what size main jet I had in my DS650 and loosened the carb so I could spin it get to the screws on float bowl. After I turned the carb partially on it's side, I decided that I couldn't get the screws loose in that position and decided to return it upright. I tightened the hose clamps on the air box side and the motor side. I started it up and was just riding around the yard and now it doesn't want to run. It keeps spitting back through the carb. Now what? Chaos is my middle name. Could I be leaking air?
The clamps are tight. P.S. What IS the main jet size on stock?

I have all the questions and none of the answers.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the stock jet size is a 165. Not positive though. My guess is that all the gas has run out of the bowl. Let the bowl fill back up and try it again. Also make sure that if you turned the gas off when you were working on it that you turned it back on

Old 10-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

The gas is back on. I rode it around the yard for a while. I have not a clue. Anybody? Thx for your response..Dean

Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

I guess I ought to clarify that it DOES run, just not good and keeps spitting back through the carb. I stated that it wouldn't run and that isn't the case, just not very good. It ran fine before I messed with the carb.. Dean

Old 10-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Did you happen to mess with the air\fuel mixture by accident?

Old 10-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

The stock jet is a 165.
It sounds like its way lean, the gas isn't flowing properly. Maybe the fuel supply hose is twisted and pinched from when you rotated the carb or maybe the vent hose, toward the top of the carb, has done the same.
So what stopped you from taking off the float bowl? Was it the screws being too tight? Thats ok you're not the first to have that problem. There is a thread on this very subject if you look in the search under carb screws or the like, I'm sure you will find many different ways to get them out. You will also find out what size screws to ask for when you replace them. I would tell you the size but my memory sucks.
Good luck on your fuel problem.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

naed,

At some point, you're going to have to take the bowl off the carb, it seems like now is a good time to do the project if something isn't right. I cut slots in the heads of the screws for a large flat bladed screwdriver, though I think there may be easier ways. Go to your local hardware store that sells stainless steel allen head bolts, get three 4mm x 10mm long and one 4mm x 12mm long bolts. If you wanna get a couple of extra 10mm bolts for the throttle cover that isn't a bad idea. Also the bolts on top of the carb are tough I THINK those are 5mm, but you'll want to check first.

One thing MarkyNark has brought up when another guy had a similar problem was to loosen the gas cap while riding; if the bike suddenly starts running nice, then the gas tank vent hose was probably smashed. At that point you re-route the hose, get a different cap, or just route it without kinks in the original location. I replaced my tank with the IMS 5 gallon, but that costs a LOT more than simply re-routing the little air hose you own.

I think 918sTaxi is right about the stock Mikuni jet being a 165. If you decide to buy the Dynojet kit, remember that the sizes are NOT the same. a 180 Mikuni and a 180 Dynojet are not the same size, in fact they are quite different. Click on this link to see the chart of how they compare.

http://home.swbell.net/tharthun/home/mainjets.htm

Old 10-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the stock one is 165 mikuni style.
i opend my screws with one of those scewdrivers that you hit with a hammer
at the top and it opens the screw with alot of force, it even did it after the screwing was trashed

Old 10-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb

Yup...That's why I quit. Because I could see that I was going to bum up the ends. Am getting an end cap from Biggerisbetter (thanks again Kyle) and so am going to rejet so will have to take it off then and will see what I have screwed up at that time. Nothing serious I'm sure. The bowl may just have been full of dirt or something and by tipping it on it's side, may have stirred it up. The filter was off it when I got it so could be anything. I have to put plugs in my truck first this week and then will tackle it. Thanks again for all the advice and help. It may well be a twisted tube or fuel line as you stated. Thx again...Dean

Old 10-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Carb

Try what bombrider was talking about. Its an impact screw driver I just bought one to get that bleed screw loose it works wonders and will get any tight screw out with ease. I think I picked it up from sears for like 25 bucks.

Quick Reply: Carb