CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CARB PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARB PROBLEM

My carb is leaking all the time from the overflow hose what the hell is wrong whit it can anyone help me.......

Old 10-12-2002, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

My carb did that the other day. I ran out of gas in the middle of a trail and turned it to reserve and I took a little break. Then I heard something leaking and when I looked down gas was just pooring out of my flood hose. I turned the gas off and then looked to see if anything was wrong but couldn't see anything. So I turned it back on reserve and it was still leaking turn it from reserve back to on and it wasn't leaking so I just decided to try my luck and I turned back on reserve started it up and made it home. I haven't had the problem since.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

The same thing used to happen on my carb. It would leak then it wouldn't. I pulled the screw and tightend it, everything I could think of. Finally I just had enough and filled the hole in with metal epoxy and it has never leaked again. I never used the drain as it was so I didn't care. At least I think I am thinking of the same hose as what your talking about.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Range Rover
Default CARB PROBLEM

Mine does that all the time. It will leak and then it won't. Generally it is dirt between the float valve needle and seat so a little fuel seeps thru which causes the bowl level to be to high and then it overflows. You can take the carb off, turn it over and take the bowl off and take the float and needle out. Take a Q-tip, and take most the cotton off the end and swirl it in your fingers to make sure that the cotton that is left doesn't come off. Then insert it up into the seat of the float needle and twist it in there and check it for dirt. This usually will remove it. If there is very minute dirt up in there, it will not let the needle seat all the way. I've had this problem with my Banshee and also with a 250R I had but I finally just replaced the needle and it stopped it. Hope this helps...Dean

Old 10-12-2002, 12:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

sounds like dirt, or sand. check the floats.

Old 10-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

Thanks guys i'll check that out.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

Demon's talking about the drain - don't plug the overflow tube because that's actually a vent to allow the air out, which must be open for gas to ever enter the float from the tank.
If the carb vent(overflow) is the source of the leak, it can only be from a needle valve that is not sealing in the seat. This valve is lifted by the float, so it could be either crap in the needle seat, or a maladjusted float level. (don't mistake the needle valve for the jet needle, as many do, the slide opens the jet needle ((which moves up and down in the needle jet)), the float operates the needle valve)

Old 03-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default CARB PROBLEM

It sounds to me like you MAY need a new retaining o-ring for the for the float seat. If this dries out it cracks and allows gas to leak around the outside of the seat. If you pull out the Float seat you will find the O-ring in a groove around the seat housing used to hold the seat in place, this item only cost about 10 cents at any AUTO Parts store. A quick get by fix, is to apply a thin film of good gasket grease to the old O-ring, but it's best to replace it.

Good Luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]