CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Paddles for the beast

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2000 | 12:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

Just got back from St Anthony sand dunes and know that I have got to get the DS paddles before the next dune trip. I put my ohtsu's from our 400EX on for this trip and they worked pretty good, but as any duner knows there is no substitute for paddles in the big dunes. Anybody already running paddles on their DS that could give their opinion I would apreciate it. I have a set of 10x11x20 8 paddle haulers that I will probably go with as soon as rims are available at a decent price.

Old 03-29-2000 | 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I was just at Moses Lake dunes this last weekend for my first time out on my DS and I have to agree about paddles. I was waiting for the wheels to be made available. It will be about two weeks before you can order paddles on wheels from Rocky Mountain ATV.

You have to be careful as to what size paddles you mount on DS from what I have read in other forums, due to the foot shroud that connects the foot pegs to the fenders. From what I read, you need to run 20". The fenders I understand are about $600, so you don't want to bottom out and bust them apart, that's for sure.

The stock Kendas worked ok, but you really had to make sure you had your momentum was up, otherwise you would dig in. This was my first time riding a quad, since I used to ride a 350X three wheeler. The speed needed to get this thing airborne compared to the 350X is a bit more than I was used too. What would have put me about three in the air would only get me one to two feet in the air on the DS, but, what a landing! That DS is ultra smooth on the jumps and at speed. The ruts in the sand kinda bounce you around at the lower speeds, but kick it up to 40mph+ and it really smoothes out.

I am probably going to head out to St. Anthony's late summer or fall. Hopefully, I will also be able to make it to Florence,Winchester Bay, and Coos Bay/North Bend Oregon this summer. I don't really care for really hot weather, which is why I am waiting until fall for St. Anthony's. Moses Lake was already in the upper 60's this last weekend.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 03-29-2000 | 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got back from Glamis sand dunes in AZ. I had 9 paddle haulers for it on black label Douglas 10" rims. With those things you get insane traction. Very hard to spin out or flip the back around, you get used to it though. If you are going to get paddles accept no less than black label rims. I was going up Patten wall when I downshifted and the torque warped the rim so bad that I lost the bead, and my tire went flat instantly. Freaked me out. When you do get paddles for it though, it will open up a whole new realm of riding for you, along with a whole new respect for the bike.

P.S. CRTLeech, I was a former 350X man myself. As far as the jumps go, you'll get used to it. Now on some jumps I'm jumping about 9' in the air and close to 60' out. Nothing like air time.

Fly high, Fly far

Old 03-29-2000 | 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have had my 20x10x10-9 paddle haulers mounted on 10x9 0.160" douglas aftermarket wheels for about 3 weeks now. I bought them from Rocky Mountain ATV. They cost $246 with chrome valve stems, shipping to Texas included. They hook up pretty good, but still can spin a bit until you get the thing moving.

Old 03-29-2000 | 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

I also moved for the first time to a quad. We spent a lot of time jumping at dunes. First off... you have not lived unless your bike has paddles on the sand. ANY bike that has enough power should get paddles before going to the sand!

I had a hard time adjusting to the constant traction. I got 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers, and would recommend a little less aggresive. Maybe 8 paddle molded instead. Mine are just too much. I also bent my black lable rims. GET THE BEST!!

Old 03-30-2000 | 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Reaper - Yea, I am going to have to get the 350X out at the same time as the DS and compare the two. I used to get up to about 4-6' of air and about 40-50' distance on that, but I ended up cracking the frame right under the rear shock resevoir. But, that was on a bike that wieghed 100#'s less and when I weighed about 70#'s less. I had a back injury and put on some wieght, since I was unable to wieght lift anymore. I will hopefully be back in the gym in a month or two, so this summer I hope to be back in shape before going to the Oregon dunes or St. Anthony's.

I am probably going to wait the 60-90 days for the Red Labels from Rocky Mountain ATV and get the Skat Trak II's. I like to be able to turn and roost more than straight out drag.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 04-02-2000 | 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I'm confused on how you guys wrapped your rims when downshifting? Was the power just so intense and it was under load? I'm confused. I can't visualize it.

Old 04-03-2000 | 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Honestly I don't understand how it happened either. I didn't think that it was possible. I was going up a steep wall about 200 yards. I decided to launch off the top. I downshifted, and the next thing that I knew I got all squirly in the back. I never hit anything, like there is anything in the dunes to hit anyway. I am putting pictures of the rim on www.cochisemotorsoprts.com/ds650/
check it out at about 2:00 or so.