CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

RW exhaust no good??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RW exhaust no good??

Lately I've been reading that alot of people think the RW exhaust is junk. Power is supposedly good, but it hits the swingarm and dents the pipes. Is this true?? Should I save my money for something else? I already have the headers and midpipe for the RW, I just need the muffler. Any input is appreciated.

Matt

Old 10-31-2002, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider

I really like my RWR pipe. It seals good and does produce awesome power. The one bad thing is it is able to be dented. I have jumped mine in the past pretty good and I have not dented mine yet. The only other problem I have had with it is that the center nounting bracket on mine has busted off. it is also starting to show some rust. I guess when it is so rusted I cant stand it or falls apart then I might get a different one, but until then, now way would I get rid of my pipe.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

i love mine also.the only thing i dont like much about mine is that it gives more mid and top end than bottom end...but all you will need is a 15t front sprocket to solve that.
Tate

Old 10-31-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just started running the Woods pipe (CT before) if you have your suspension setup correctly then it shouldn't hit unless you really air it out, I don't think that will be a problem for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It's loud like all aftermarket pipes but my riding buddy says it's quiter than the CT, I think it's just from the tip being turned down. Downside, The Woods pipe weighes than the CT, it hangs past the stock grab bar so it can get hit if your in to wheelies

Old 11-01-2002, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The pipe doesn't hit the caliper - the last curve of the megaphone hits the swingarm itself, chipping the paint on the swingarm. It goes un-noticed by most, because it can hit over and over without causing a dent, and you may never know it has been happening until your headpipes start leaking at the midpipe connections. When it hits, it flexes the pipe enough to cause the pipes to slip in and out of the collars. I'm not talking about hard hits, just repeated taps.
If you have the pipe, take a look at the edge of the swingarm, a few inches rear of the pivot on the left side, directly under megaphone curve. If you see the paint gone in a little spot its from hitting, and this will also mean that your headpipes will eventually leak and rust at the collars from the movement this causes.
The DS has 11.5" of travel in the rear - any and all pipes should be designed to clear in the event of a bottom-out. A company shouldn't make a product that works fine only "if the rider is just careful with it and doesn't use the machine to the extent of its capacity that the manufacturer (Bomb) designed it for".

On the subject of bottom end power - 18 disks on the Supertrapp end cap adapter offered by RWR gave me more bottom end with this pipe, to the point of making wheelies easier all the way to third gear, with insignificant effect on the top end. Total cost after the adapter, disks, end cap, and bolts, was about $85 though, and even though this set-up is shorter than the open end nozzle, it still sticks out to the end of the grab bar.

Old 11-01-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Marky,
That may be true but if you ever hit that grab bar on road or dirt its getting bent straight up i had the ac racing one and it didnt stick as far out as the prm and it bent bad even bent my plastic in.
Tate

Old 11-01-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Ok....I went ahead and ordered the pipe, and the supertrap end cap, but RW can't get the disks for it anymore. So..... where do you think I can get them?? Thanx for everything guys.

Old 11-01-2002, 02:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got the disks and end cap from Dennis Kirk - order on the web or call them. 18 disks matched the jetting of an open end, so it can be interchanged without going into the carb. Get the stainless screws from the hardware store - seems like they're #10-24 thread but not positive, make sure first, and put plenty of antiseize compound on them prior to install or you'll never get them back out.

I have the PRM baja grab bar, and the pipe still hits the ground before the grab bar does. I had to put a 1x4 on the ground to set the grab bar on when standing up the bike for inspections/maintenance in the garage, or the edge of the disk cap would scrape. The open nozzle would even be worse 'cause its longer.

Old 11-01-2002, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

I put a six pack rack on mine. The Woods pipe will not hit
even when drag the rack through deep sand.

Old 11-01-2002, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

On the subject of bottom end power - 18 disks on the Supertrapp end cap adapter offered by RWR gave me more bottom end with this pipe, to the point of making wheelies easier all the way to third gear, with insignificant effect on the top end. Total cost after the adapter, disks, end cap, and bolts, was about $85 though, and even though this set-up is shorter than the open end nozzle, it still sticks out to the end of the grab bar.
Where can i see these disks and this end cap adaptor?????
Tate

Quick Reply: RW exhaust no good??