CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hard starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting?

Ok, I got my DS running again. It ran just fine the other day, but it is almost impossible to start when its cold. It was always a little bit hard to start, but it got alot harder.

Could you give me some suggestions?

Heres my mods:

Pro-Circuit Slipon
K&N Filter w/o Prefilter
Holes-drilled into airbox lid
11.5:1 Piston
Dynojet 190 Main
Dynojet Needle on 3rd notch
Air/Fuel Screw out about 3 turns

Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

I am having the same problem as well and so are so other people. I have been told to get bigger jets because it is running to lean but the stike at the docks has kept my jets from getting to my dealer. If anyone could help it would be appreciated

Old 11-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

Have you checked your valve clearance? Alot of times when the clearance is to tight it will make it hard to start. This was talked about in another topic not to long ago and tight valves ended up being the problem for hard starts when cold.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

i notice when i try startin mine wen its really cold it will start but if you try 2 touch the gas it will stall, ionno wat it is

Old 11-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

I just checked my valves when I installed my Piston, there in spec.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Old 11-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

Kodiak,

I'm guessin that you've ruled out the possibility of it being the battery? And you pulled a plug after an attempt to get it started--checked the plug see if its wet? If its fuel starvation it could be (not positive tho) trash in your tank...sorry if this is stuff you've already tried but usually its the simple stuff that gets forgotten. Alot of people have been having problems with the rectifier (the finned black box at the back of the quad just below the taillight. I couldn't tell you how to check it to see if its good or not but the symptoms are if your lights are off while running it runs poorly--if I remember right--so I'm thinking that you should turn your lights on before triing to start it and then if it starts turn them off and see if it runs bad...I know this probably is much help but I remember that your local dealer wasn't much good which is a total bummer...get yourself a manual if you haven't already--it'll help you troubleshoot...good luck!

Jim

Old 11-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

jiminok, Im going to check the battery tomarrow. I dont beleive its a fuel problem, because if it was starving I dont think it would run right once started.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

Ok, its still not starting. I've tried starting it with the gas cap off, I've tried starting it with the lights on, & the plugs are getting fuel and they dont seem to be fouled. So what should I try next.............it just cranks, did I maybe put something together wrong when I put the motor back in?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

Kodiak...

When you pulled the plug to check for signs of fuel getting into the cyl. did you happen to check it for spark by putting the plug into the boot and grounding it against the engine while turning it over? Obviously there are a multitude of possibilities why your bike won't start. Since you had the engine out yourself and have familiarized yourself with the wiring and such I'd suggest retracing your connections--it turns over nicely but acts like it would if the kill switch was off, no? I'd pull my plastic (just so your quad knows you mean business and to scare the dang little gremlins out of hiding!) and just leave the tank while I was looking for the culprit. Check that the connections are all fully seated...better yet, separate the connections and make sure you don't have any loose wires into each half of the connectors...get some dialectric grease from autozone or walmart and use it when you put your connections back together to keep out dust and water once your back on the trail. Have you considered repulling the valve cover to check that your timing marks align at TDC?

The best I can do for you is if you don't have it figured out by the end of next week call me 918-645-0781 and I'll come down to Grindstone and give you an extra set of eyes and hands and maybe we'll figure it out...I'll be working in Pittsburgh by then--not too far from California[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...PA, that is![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hard starting?

Thanks for the offer jiminok, I have a few other things to try tomarrow and if I dont get it running by around Thursday next week I'll give you a call.....I live about 5-10 minutes from California, PA.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Hard starting?