CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pop Quiz for all your DS Wrenchers--HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop Quiz for all your DS Wrenchers--HELP!!!

Hi folks, anyone have any good ideas how to get the sprocket hub off of the back axle of the DS? I got my replacement DuraBlue axle today and the Sprocket hub is the only *&^%$(# thing that won't come off. I've got the little O ring out from the inside and it looks like there may be some shiny highly machined parts that may be able to come off the inside, but other than that...I'm stumped. I even roasted it over my coleman propane grilll and heated it nice and toasty...still wouldn't budge. I drilled a hole in the workbench big enough to drop the axle through and then beat the snot out of the other end trying to shock it loose, but nothing seems to work (except now I've got a workbench with a 3 inch hole in the middle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) .

EagleCollector you were my saving grace last time, have you done this before, what does the manual say?

ANY IDEAS????

Thanks in advance,

N

Old 11-06-2002, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Neosirfir you have to move the hub over to the left to get the clip out then pound it back off to the right.It is on their really tight.What I did was set the end of the axle on a piece of wood so it wouldn't damage the threads.Then I got a piece of pipe that would fit over the axle and sat on the sprocket hub than I pounded on it with a big hammer.Let me know how you make out.How does the dura blue look? I've been thinking about buying one for my quad I have bent mine a few times off some big jumps.Getting tired of straightening it.As for the manual it doesn't say to much about pulling the axle out let alone the sprocket hub.I would grease the bearings while you have the axle out.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't had to tackle that one yet. And dsguru is right, the manual has no tips or tricks on this one. But it sounds like dsguru has the heads up for you.
Good luck man.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Guys, thanks for the quick response and ideas. I didn't have a 2" piece of pipe, only pvc, and that just didn't cut it. I tried using my ratchet tie-downs to a hub for some constant pressue while beating the other end, and it still resisted. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and see if our machine shop has some long all-thread and some thing to use to make a crude puller. Either that or find a bigger hammer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] At any rate, I should be able to have the tools and heavy lifting gear to get it done....but...once it's off, I've gotta reassemble everything, including the new gearing, chains, hubs, brake, and wheels before heading off late Thursday night.....egads, that's going to be fun. I'll follow up tomorrow with a progress report.

Later,
N

Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

DSguruis right. That is how i did mine.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

the dura blue axle for the ds looks sweet. I put one on my causins and it is nice.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

All, after a day of HELL I finally got the axle and the sprocket hub to part company...it only took 10 tons of a press and some heat and "slipped right off" .... BTW...I'm not exagerating on the 10 Tons...the shops press was groaning... no rust no nothing, just stuck for some reason. I got everything else back on the durablue (which does look sweet) plus the 43 tooth sprocket, new roller chain and have everything loaded for bear...er I mean Glamis. I'll let you know how it went.

Later and thanks again.