CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Jetting....I know it's all been done b4!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting....I know it's all been done b4!

Ok, I know jetting has been discussed many many times, but this will be the first time for me, so I am going to need some help.

First off, does the carb need to be removed from the quad? Second, is it absolutely necessary to buy an impact wrench to get the screws out.

OK...here is what is going to be done....RW exhaust w/ K&N carb mount filter, everything else is stock. Normal riding elevation is between 0-1000ft. I ride mostly on the Oregon coast. I will be using the Dynojet kit, so I need to know what jets to use, what clip position, and how many turns on the air screw. Any and all hep will be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Getting the screws off the carb. 1. remove your old pipe since you have a new one to put on. 2. Get all of your phillips screw drivers, pick the one that fits the screw head BEST. 3. put pressure on the screw head and with all your might turn it carefully, you should hear it snap! Hopefully you won't get an anurizm(blow a blood vessle in your brain) as I almost did. If the screw head start to strip, STOP! and go get the impact driver. But I did it, so can you. If you have to take the top off to get at the needle, you will only have to loosen the front and back of the carb, pull out the air box breather hoses from under your tank/move asside, turn carb to the right and follow the same as #2. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

The screws are going to be a pain, if you happen to strip them get a hack saw, cut 3\4 of the way thru the head then get your biggest straight slot and get them off that way. You'll have to get new screws. Do a search to see what size, it's on this site somewhere. The top of the carb will be tight too.

You don't need to take the carb off to rejet, just turn it to the side. The needle, some say not to replace it, I would if I was you. It's not hard, clip on 3rd groove. Use the dynojet 3 instructions and take the lid off the airbox. I'm guessing you should start with a 185 and work from there, check plugs, temp, ect. If your running hot your lean same with white plugs. Cold or black plug your rich. Air screw 2 1\2 turns out.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to rejet soon also so I figured no better time to ask for the screw issue.

Is it JUST the top screws for the needle? or the bottom for the main jet??

Also, any on got the EXACT screw size and length so us NEWBIE jetters can start with confidence that we have the right stuff when we break it!!! LOL

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I read, I learned, I conquered!

I used a real small pair of Vise Grips I'd got for xmas a few years ago to start with on the bowl screws--NO PROBLEM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Threw them suckers in the trash and installed the ones Buttfungus (great guy) sent me (since then I've purchased spares and turned other DS riders onto the setup!)

I went with the stage III setup on mine...Not sure I've got it dialed in yet (seems to go flat too early on top) but will keep experimenting--I used the 190 main...second groove from the top on the needle (cleaned up my exhaust at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle), and I'm 2.5 turns out on my idle screw. I'm far from an expet on the art of getting it dialed it but...vice grips work without the hassle of hacksaws and impacts...no offense guys!

Jim

Old 11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Just wondering here but would the dyno jets work on the tm 45 I heard they don't but i just wanna make sure because stock carb and the tm45 are both mikuni.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mikuni makes both round jets & hex jets, if someone said it wont work is probably because the TM45 uses the hex jets. I don't know this and have never even seen a TM45 carburetor, however someone else can back this up or provide the correct info.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

OK guys...thanx for all your help. I'm confident that I'll be able to do this once my jet kit gets here. Oh yeah, I do have new allen head screws for the carb, thanx to a fellow forum member.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Jiminok.
A pair of good vise grips and some patience will get the screws loose easy and won't even mess up the phillips driver hole. I've done it probably twenty times on mikuni carbs and it works by far better than an impact wrench. Just clamp the vise grips nice and tight with enough swing to turn the pliers about an 1/8 of a turn or less and they are loose. works 97.5% of the time.

Old 11-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Vise grips - simple as pie! Even a big pair works, they don't have to be needle nose, or miniature, just clamp and twist.