CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Oils

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oils

hi can any body tell me what is the best Engine Oils that can i use in the ds-650 in very hot weather and cold weather and keep the
Engine in a smooth condition and last longer .

Old 11-09-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Oils

mobil 1 makes a new synthetic oil for wet clutch machines like our's, it's called MX4T 10w-40 4 cycle motorcycle oil. now don't let the 10w-40 fool ya, it will protect at the hottest temps better than normal(even 15w-50) oil because it pulls the heat away and disipates it better without breaking down, it also flows better than a 5w-30 in the cold because of the low temp flow rate. i live in wisconsin ride year round temps -0's ice racing to 90deg summer drag racing same oil year round. note: you still need to change it often like any other oil w/filter to make it run forever. sure it cost twice as much but it works twice as good!!!!

Old 11-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Oils

Another alternative is Hondas HP-4 which is used by many on this forum including myself. It provides great protection and doesn't make the clutch slip. Costs about 4.50 a guart.

Looks like Marky beat me to the punch. Takes me too long to write the stuff

Old 11-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Range Rover
Default Engine Oils

thanks guys but i use mobile the normal one in my ds-650 and every ride my fane wont stop because of the hot engine so theas oils that you talk a bout will make a difrance in the temp of the engine .

Old 11-10-2002, 03:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Oils

cOoLdevil,

If you are having heat problems, you need to address that head on. There are several things you can do to cool down the DS650 without having to buy a different oil to make up for the heat. (There are still other reasons to ensure your using a good oil, so you should still get some.)

1. Get some radiator shrouds. You can get aluminum ones or carbon fiber. The Carbon Fiber look awesome & cost about double or more than the Aluminum, however the aluminum ones look good as well.

2. Change to a 'cooler' coolant. There are several brands of coolant which claim to do this, I used Engine Ice and can attest to it's ability to lower the engine temperature.

3. Get an 'inline' coolant heat sink. This nifty little deivce helps cool your engine signifigantly according to Marky. I haven't added this part to my ATV yet, but I plan to.

Once you a couple of those three items done, you'll notice the fan comes on much less. Personally, my fan would come on after every ride no matter what outside temperature. After my changes it only comes on once or twice a day. However my (2nd) fan died so all of my cooling is coming from the coolant, radiator and shrouds without the red light ever coming on.

Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 AM
Range Rover
Default Engine Oils

thank you blackhawk but if you have a bad engine oil the engine well heat up so easy and i know the 1st two things you saide but i dont know the last one ( 'inline' coolant heat sink ) do you have pic of it or you can give me the website for it

Old 11-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Engine Oils

can you post some pic of your atv with the Inline Water Cooler so that we can see how it works

Old 11-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Oils

Cooldevil - are you sure your motor is fading due to heat? This needs confirmed with a temp gauge. In my experience, and the experience of many others on this forum is that Full Synthetic oil like Mobile1 will cause clutch slippage, and it could be that your clutch is fading and not the engine power, if you are using a full synthetic.
I use HP4, but have also used Valvoline durablend, and saw no temp changes from one to the other. I also use 40/60 antifreeze/water rather than 60/40 like the manual says, and still have adequate freeze protection but better cooling. I ride excess of 100 degrees frequently all summer and never overheat (as long as my fan is in working order), and my temp gauge never goes over 205 which is the DS's operating range. FYI : the red warning light comes on at 239.
My coolant temp is the same summer and winter - right around 200 degrees, never changes, like it should be, so I use the same oil all year, 10W-40.

Old 11-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Oils

When your clutch slips the friction of the plates slipping against eachother will also cause higher temps. Get the Mobile-One out of there and try a non synthetic oil for a while, once the clutch stops slipping (if it does) then see if it runs hot. If the clutch doesn't stop slipping you will need to replace it. You certainly won't be the first.

Old 11-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Engine Oils

I am a huge fan of synthetics, i run Amsoil in my 2001 F250, and my wifes mazada, but they dont run well with wet clutches, i dont run synthetics in my DS or my GSXR750 or my wifes 250ex, as the manual states it will have effects on the clutch. Do some internet reasearch on oils i used to run Castrol in my bikes, but after seeing the tests and numbers, i swiched brands, i run Valvoline Race series 20W-50 in the TX summer and 10W-30 to hit the Glamis and Oregon dunes in the winter. Can find it at Autozone, for about $2.50 a quart. Quaker state standard line showed to be the all round best for normal use at minimul cost, but if your willling to pay a bit more go with Valvoline Race series, the numbers are off the chart in performance.
I just did hours of internet searching on oils, and the diff's etc, to come to these conclusions. Just enter in "oil" or "oil comparisons" in your search engine and lots of good info is out there.
Rob.

Quick Reply: Engine Oils