CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Skis for the DS 650?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skis for the DS 650?

I have heard that there are people out there with skis on the front of their DS for winter riding. I am planning on taking mine to the mountain to play in the snow this year and was wondering how well the skis worked. Also, where can I get some? I would like to be able to cruise the packed trails and tow the kids to the top of the hill with their sleds.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

i don't know what the problem was but i took my DS out once in the ice and after getting stuck on a flat icy road with a slight incline i realized the DS wasn't built for the cold, the back tires just spun like crazy. mine stays cooped up most of the winter and used when ever it is dry. Is it just me or does the DS have a slight disadvantage in the snow

Old 11-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

FlatTrack,

I am from eastern Ontario, Canada and up here we get all sort of snow and I will be the first one to tell you that my Baja is great in the snow, I can keep upto the sleds on the hard packed trails. Even the 4wd ATV cannot keep up with my baja in the snow.

Overkill,

I have started to build my ski convertion kit for my Baja, I choose to use Bomb skis and create my own new spindle that will except the ski while maintaining the use of the upper and lower ball joints. I completed one spindle but went wrong somewhere whit my calculation because my ski would end up having about 16 degrees of negatice camber when I thought I caclulated for 0. As far as tires, I have acquired a used set of spider tracks that I will stud using woody's skidoo track studs and use a tube, Last year I had my original set of Ohtsu's studded and it was awesome in the snow, no problem to dance the front wheels from 1st to 4th on a hard packed trail as long as the trail was wide enough because regardless of your air pressure it seems to always want to vear left or right leaving you to use alot of body english to correct your direction.

Old 11-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

it's true the ds is alot of fun on hard pack snowmobile trails but get one tire off the hard pack in the fluff and it's all over! but if you get a ski kit (or make one, check with a bombardier sled dealer) with a paddle tire might work good in the loose stuff? we ice race with about 1500 ice screws in the tires they really grab but no good in the fluffy stuff.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

overkill, i believe i'm the only one on this forum that has working skis for the ds, if you want 2 c some picts of them on my quad click here. I just purchased my used ds in july so i haven't been able 2 test them in snow yet, but hopefully within a week or 2 i will, i tried them in the grass n they seemed 2 work great and the former owner said they were amazing in the snow, you could either make mounts similar 2 mine or buy some from A.D Boivin, they also make a track kit, they have a website here,i'll be using my realtors on the rear
flattrack650, did you have stock tires when you did this? we had an inch or two a few days ago and i rode around n had no problems gettin stuck, the excavators spun alot though,
the guy who originally made my skis had paddles on the back and they worked amazing, i may get some for next year but i'd hafta make sure they were a heavier paddle for road crossings n such

Old 11-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

well guys i might have to modify my mounts, when i tried in the grass wen i wheelied i noticed that the front of the ski went down since the handle was made out of metal, so i thought i could just buy the lil rubber pieces and then i'd be fine, but i bought them then i realized that i'd need something to for the rubber to hit on the mount, it probably won't be hard to fix that problem but i thought i'd let u guys how its going,
BTW- Its snowing right now so i might be able to try them soon