Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

found a front ski kit for sport quad check it out!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 10:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at cabelas and founf this strap on kit for skis. looks like a good deal because they just strap on and u dont have to alter anything im thinking about getting some for my 400ex is that a good idea??? what do you all think about the skis and how they will work?check them out here

Old 11-25-2001, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

One thing that I'm wondering is if you come off a jump wont your front tires want to spin do the ski's spin also? I'm considering getting them for my X so I can have more fun in the snow this winter.

Old 11-26-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Good point, I am just guessing here, but you probably aren't suppose to jump them, maybe if you lock your front brakes you can? I am sure they will work better then any rubber tire would in the deeper stuff, but on ice I bet studded fronts would work better. If I am wrong, don't start anything like in the Suzuki forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!!!!! I do know this, with my stock tire on the front of my ATC this weekend, I could be in 4th gear, pull on the front brakes, turn my wheel, and still go in a straight line until I stopped, with the front tire locked and to the right or left, soooo thats why I would say a ski would work better.

Old 11-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

yerah i was wondering that too but i was thinking that probley because of the weight on the bottom of the wheels they wont spin and the momentum will keep them straight but even if they do spin they cant go all the way around that would wack the fenders and when you landed they would go back to the normal posistion??? there also might be some way that you could lock they front wheels?? i think they should move a little to go over bumps? plus where i live i have to drive up the side of the road to get to the trails so i could carry them then just strap them on when i got there i think they r a lot better than fixed skis where you have to take the wheels off and what about those snow traxx kits in dirtwheels they have skis and they dont flop around when you jump so either they just stay put or they have a way to lock the front wheels any ideas on my thoughts?????

Old 11-26-2001, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

LOL at ltracerX. I didn't really mean to offend anybody there but I guess I did. Live and learn I guess.

Old 11-26-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

You didn't offend me.

Old 11-26-2001, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

I found out last winter that my wide rear tires would float on top of the deep snow, but the fronts were always breaking through. That's a real pain when the front drops into 2-3 feet of snow. The skis look like it would solve that problem, but then again, there are always patches of dirt where the sun hits...

Good luck,
Lorrin

Old 12-04-2001, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

All you need to do is buy some plastic snowmobile ski skins (available in red to boot), drill some holes in the edges and strap them to your tires. But then they start to curl around the tire a bit so I reinfoced them with some 1/4" flatbar then welded some loops on the FB to tie the straps to.

Rod
02 400EX

Old 12-04-2001, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

That's a good idea! Do you mean like the carbide (spelling?) pads on the bottom? If so then I've got a coupple of the laying around and it'd work out perfect.

Old 12-05-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

No I don't have carbides on mine, on anything hard pack enough to need carbides you're okay with studded tires, plus the carbide would be harder to push, you'd probably get stuck easier.

Rod
02 400EX

Quick Reply: found a front ski kit for sport quad check it out!!!!!!!!