CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds running funny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds running funny?

Guys,
I had a heck of a time getting my DS started the last 2 times I tried. The last time was about 5 weeks ago. (Been busy lately).
Anyone I got it going & even after it's warmed up it will rev up fine. But if I hold it at a steady throttle it will miss & pop. My idle circut screw is 2.5 turns out. If I make it 4 turns out it seems to help. But 4 turns seems like too much though. I'm wondering if maybe I should make the needle richer one notch? What do you guys think?

Old 12-11-2002, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

Why not pull the carb and clean it. It could be bad gas ( you say you're not riding much lately)
Check the plugs, too.

Have you had your valves checked lately???

Old 12-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Put your battery on a charger for a few hours and it'll run fine...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

funny you mention that. A trip last July the DS ran fine. Then in August at SL it did this same thing the first 5 minutes I rode. Then it was OK. I had to put the charger on it to get it started yesterday.... Maybe I'll check that again.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

This cold weather,,,,I still haven't gotten my Baja started!! I think pulling and cleaning the carb, raising the needle one notch may be today's little chore....I have a battery charger on it anyway as I ran the battery down trying to start it. New plugs, both of 'em. Plenty of spark. Think I'll drain the tank and start off with some fresh gas too, it has been out in the rain a couple of times.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

it might be your carb if you put a bad tank of gas in it or got junk in it some how. it sounds almost like a metering rod is pluged or an accelerator pump is screwy

Old 12-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yoo Hoo! Got it going! I think it was water in the gas. I drained out a bunch, through the carb, from reserve. I also raised the needle, now 4 from the top, and fixed that crank breather hose that had a hole in it from the Ron Wood pipe that 3TV had on it, finally, and put a K&N breather filter on it.

This thing had lots of spark, but wouldn't even pop, then, finally, ,,a pop, and waaaaaa, the throttle cable was screwed up at the thumb, idle set all wrong,,,,who's quad was this anyway?
Fattening up the midrange seems to have helped a lot. Where'd that mid range torque come from?
I can't see like I used to, so I couldn't even figure out which main jet was in it, I just put it back. The carb seemed clean, so I didn't go beyond that. It had to be the gas............

All is well in Fourlix land.....Now if I could just get that building permit....

Old 12-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I went & raised the needle 1 notch. I can't get the stupid thing to fire at all now. The plugs are wet, I clean them & try again & nothing. New gas too, didn't help. I don't get it, When I put it away it was fine.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your time with the needle, that is a midrange adjustment only. You mentioned earlier that you were going to charge the battery, did you? Have you pulled a plug to make sure that you are getting spark? It sounds very much like low battery voltage creating a weak spark or an electrical issue causing no spark. Double check your battery connections, if you have a digital multimeter check the battery voltage to make sure you have at least 12.65 volts. Check the grounds on the coils.

However, if your battery checks out and you have spark, spray some starting fliud in the carb and start it that way to see if it will fire off and run.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Andrew,

I only get to ride every few months and don't get to tend to my quad during that time so this is what I did...

I bought a BATTERY TENDER and it has three lights on it that inform you of the status of the charge...when the yellow light goes out and the green light comes on she starts everytime (so far). I took out a loan and picked up a brand new battery the same day just in case the charger didn't fix the problem so I wouldn't miss out on all the fun--its still in the box. I also got a little inverter (DC to AC) that plugs into my 12v recep in the truck so I can use the charger on extended trips if I need to.

I'm not saying that your problem couldn't be something other than...but I bet a dollar or two its just an under charged battery and contrary to conventional wisdom that says, "bump start it, run it, and the battery will be recharged" No, no, no--the DS system doesn't work like that...

BTW, it wouldn't hurt to do those other things also.

jim

Quick Reply: Ds running funny?