CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

my DS sneezes once in a while

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002 | 08:07 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default my DS sneezes once in a while

this past weekend i noticed that my ds would sneeze everynow and then. what happends is sometimes while shifting in low gears ill pull the clutch, pop into gear and when i give it gas it kinda pauses and makes a achooo sound like it grabbed a bunch of air and shot it out some where. another time it does this is at start up. my plugs r just about perfect just on the edge of light brown. im not a gear head so if anyone knows what im talkin about i would apreciate clearing it up for me. thanx. out of the 2 days of riding it did it about 5 times

Old 12-16-2002 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

It seemed to be running good when I saw it.

I would check for exhaust leaks.

Old 12-16-2002 | 10:32 PM
|
Pro Rider

it runs great, its really just a few times its happend. so far it has only done this at low rpms.

Old 12-17-2002 | 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I think mine did that "sneeze" thing you're talking about once when I was out a couple of weekends ago. I'd kind of like to know what it's all about too...

Old 12-17-2002 | 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Mine will do it as a warning just before it runs out of gas. some times I have a chance to switch it to reserve before it dies. Ya know Bombardier could have thaught out the fuel petcock better...what a bitch with gloves on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
But anyway back to the problem at hand. It sounds like its a little lean on the mid range. Move your clip down a notch which will raise your needle.

What main jet you runnin and where is the neeedle set at now?

Old 12-17-2002 | 04:48 AM
Pro Rider

Mine did it a couple of times. Couldn't figure it out and then a buddy of mine told me the RPM's were to low at idle. He said it was dropping too low off throttle and when you hit the throttle again too fast it will cough or sneeze as you say. I turned up my idle a little and it hasn't done it since. Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2002 | 05:13 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Try turning the idle screw out a half turn to richen the low speed mixture. Thats counter-clockwise looking up at it. You have described a backfire caused by a lean condition. Turning the idle speed up works too but it's avoiding the problem by running the engine on the next jetting circuit which is less sensitive.

Old 12-17-2002 | 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same thing, and i belive its the air tube, the tube from the air box to the carb, its not very strong and sometimes collapses, try puting some hose clumps on it, this should do the trick

Old 12-17-2002 | 04:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

mystereid, do u mean the airmix screw? thanx for the info guys, what would i do if it where not for this forum......... spend alot of $$$ taking it to the mech.

Old 12-17-2002 | 06:09 PM
Range Rover

Check the intake hose on carb some times it will work its self loose and suck to much air and cough and not run right it wont be all the way off just a little bit at the top

Quick Reply: my DS sneezes once in a while