CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I hate bumpsteer!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hate bumpsteer!!

After getting my new American Star A Arms installed and set, we went for a long ride last Sunday. Maybe I expected too much from the A Arms but the bumpsteer is about the same as before. The guy I ride with has a stock 400ex and we ride as fast as we can through some of the roughest terrain Kentucky has to offer. I keep up with him everywhere on the trails and fire roads are all mine but I have to work twice as hard to keep the DS straight. I have to grip the handle bars like a gorrilla in case a rock comes along and jerks the front end straight for a tree. This is anything but inspiring and I always believed that the a arms would correct this problem. I thought it had to be in the suspension because the stock 400ex never jerks the handlebars out of my arms when I ride it.

I have the caster set to about 8 degrees and it is pretty hard to steer with this much caster, I would hate for it to get heavier. Is my only other option to get a steering stabilizer? Will this make it even harder to steer? Should I have a professional shop check my suspension setup? I need to correct this problem.

Old 12-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get yourself a predator

Old 12-21-2002, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Rocky I ride in the sand all the time and it can be as rough as the rocks at times. I put a denton stabilzer on my 250R and it did help alot. The only down fall to the stablizer is it makes quick steering hard to do. The stablizer creates a lot of resistance to steering. Its allmost as if you tightened down the steering stem with a c-clamp. They have stablizers that are adjustable as how much resistance they create. I dont think you can comepletly tune out the bump steer but it does take most of the fatigue out of your arms and wrists. Good luck

Old 12-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

it is almost imposible to take all the steer grip out of every bike i have a ex and when i hit a rock with a wheel out of My hands she gose but taller tires will help this out!!!! and as for the predator it seems to handle little bumps better but when i was running the drags threw the whoops with one. His arms were moving so fast it looked as though he was trying to keep a fat chick away from a buffet table!! so i asked about the movement he said he was going to talk to his dealer about that. I seen it down at town and country and i asked the guy's there what was wrong they said the guy didn't know what he was doing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] don't you just hang on and hope she gose forward??????

Old 12-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Rocky,
I have the 7 way ajustable Graydon on my Baja.....
I raced the Terrible Town 250 with it and I tell ya it saved my a$$ more times then I can remember!
If your running hard and fast through the rough stuff,the dampener is a must.
You do feel it when set on the stiffer settings,but it is worth it when you hit that rock that usually throws you off..and instead you still riding it out.

Good shocks help alot too...keep that in mind

Jeff

Old 12-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I too want to get rid of my Bump-steer. I believe I will try one of these steering stabilizers. what is a good brand and how much???

Biggerisbetter.