CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Traxter plug fouling

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 10:36 AM
BT
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Traxter plug fouling

Hi All ,

I have an 01 XT that i bought new . It has a bad habit of fouling plugs . Have to be careful on start/warm-up . It always seems hard to start when cold and seems to take a while to get warmed up . I'm thinking it needs some jetting changes ?

Anyone aware of bulletins/updates ?

Thanx

Old 01-02-2003 | 01:15 PM
Range Rover

It sounds like you might be running a little lean - as you indicated it probably is a jetting issue. Did you dealer re-jet it for your altitude?

Also, the Traxter is a little cold hearted to begin with and cold starting can be an issue - especially if not jetted correctly.

If you are going to replace your plug, I've heard from many Traxter owners that see some better performance with some after market plugs. I can't recall the specification right now, but if you are interested let me know and I'll get the information.

Cheers,

Old 01-03-2003 | 07:46 AM
BT
|
Weekend Warrior

Viking ,

Thanks for the reply .

I've talked to a couple different dealers but reply with no known problems . My lovely wife tucked the owners manual away , yet to be found . I'm not sure that would cover carb settings . I decided to take a look at the carb and discovered maybe the only flaw in the Traxter design . The fuel screw . Why it's positioned in an impossible spot to access is a major bummer . Maybe a specialty right angle screwdriver would help , but you still can't see the D##n thing ! I started to pull the carb and found that's not a 'quickaminute' job either.

I'll give it another go this weekend , but would be nice to get some baseline to start .
I'm also thinking about changing/drilling out the choke jet if possible . I've done this on a couple dirt bikes with good results .

Later