CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why should I buy a DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:47 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Why should I buy a DS650?

Wow thanks for all the great feedback! I'm still not sure the way to go...here are some factors for me:
1)I'm a small guy; 5'7" and 145 lbs
2)I live in Arkansas...mainly trails, fields, steep terrain
3)Maintenance. Which quad would be easier to maintain?

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about your size when I got mine I was 14, 5' 6" and 155. I live in PA where it is all relatibely tight trails and mountains and I wouldn't have any other quad.
As far as maitenance, change the oil after the first 10 hours or so and check the valve clearance. Other than that changing the oil and cleaning your air filter every so often, I change my oil about every 20 hours or so give or take a few depending on what kind of riding I did and I clean my air filter every ride. You will also need to check your valves every 3 months or so as a good rule of thumb atleast that's what I go by. The oil change is not the cleanest, but once you do it a few times you will learn the tricks and you won't think a thing about it.

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok, cool. Some people make it sound like a 145 lb. man shouldn't even consider a ds650. As far as your maintenance suggestions, I assume the owners manual will help out with some of that stuff. Once a choose one and am able to buy it, it will become my baby and I'll want to do everything right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have sat on both the raptor and ds650; they both feel awesome. I think it will come down to which one is the better price. by the way, do these quads have time keepers on them that tell you how many hours they have been in operation?

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

There is a kid out there adamscrabler or somethign like that, he look like about 115lbs in his pics.. your fine.. it will go that much faster! Hey, my big buyy 250 on my ds can beat a light rider 165 on a raptor.. You on ds will fly..

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

No they do not come with a hour meter, but you can install a TrailTech Speedo which I would recommend very highly they are a awesome gadget and they will tell you your hours. Trail Tech money well spent.

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

You shouldn't buy a ds 650 im tired of all the competition buy a raptor and hide from me all the time!!!!LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2002 | 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Both great machines, I think fourlix pretty much covered it.

If I could only have one machine it would be a real hard decision between the banshee and the baja. The baja would probably beat it out for the best overall machine. Just so dang comfortable to ride and will do anything you ask of it.

The Ds is a very well built machine and can take the abuse very well. I really like mine. I need to get out and ride it though.

Later
Bat

Old 12-31-2002 | 08:28 PM
Range Rover

I too am completely sold on my DS. Before I bought it, I had only owned Yamaha motorcycles, so the Raptor was on my list too. I took one ride on the DS and took it home with me. It is very dependable and flat flies. I let my wife ride it and now she wants one too! This is getting expensive!! I would definitely buy mine again. Also, no real problem in the woods either. The extra length is great for hill climing too.

Old 01-01-2003 | 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

i might be weird but when riding my ds, i feel as if the machine and i are working as one through the dunes as a team compared to any other quad i have riden. the others just have a fake feel to them after riding the ds

Old 01-01-2003 | 03:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i have two ds's, my wife rides hers with no problems. my brother has a ds and a raptor for his wife. everyone is right, there both good machines. they both have more motor than the average person needs, they both handle well, although the ds seems to pull ahead here. what you might want to do is get the machines side by side, that is where we notice the big difference. the ds is built like a hummer,and the raptor like a jeep. the size concern, shouldn't bother you my wife is 130 my brother is 155 so you won't have any problems. one thing is the raptor has two carbs which can be good, but if they get out of adjustment, ask raptor owners how easy it is to rejet. they never like to talk about that. chain adjustment is a breeze on a ds, i think the suzuki was a nightmare if i remember right. again put the two next to each other and compare, if broken parts, and repairs won't bother you the raptor is fine, if you want to ride wash ride wash ride wash, forget about it then go ride go with the ds.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a DS650?