CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why should I buy a DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 11:13 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Why should I buy a DS650?

I'm looking to buy a quad in a few months, and doing some research. It's pretty much down to the DS650 and the Raptor. I'd love some honest feedback from you DS650 fans. I've been out of the scene for quite a while...tell me why I should pick bombardier over yamaha.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2002 | 11:31 AM
|
Pro Rider

Last quad I owned was a '92 Suzuki 250 quadracer, which I loved (and hated at times). Now I've got the fever again......help me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2002 | 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Both are good it is which one fit you best. Performance I would call equal. Comfortable ride the DS. Tight wood trails the Raptor. If you can get a ride on both and go with what feel good too you will have too live with it. I went with the DS because of the way it is built or should I say over built.

Old 12-31-2002 | 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First off they are both great quads.

But the reasons why I chose the DS over the Rappy 2 years ago was SIZE,an COMFORT and I new that if BMW chose the Rotax 650 for their Motorcycles, then it was a Great engine and would be reliable for years to come.

Thew DS is slightly over- engineered in my opionion but that is good thing, but adds a few more puonds. Bigger guys like myself really like it, but I know alot of smaller guys that really love the DS also.

SO if you like to Dune, or anything else besides Tight Woods riding, I would Strongly suggest the DS.
my.02

Biggerisbetter.

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

If I had to do it over I would by the DS again!.. I am so happy with mine, and as far as trails go. Its only wide if your where your not supposed to be!.. You learn real quick how to get in trees.. I would say the ONLY advantage of the raptor is reverse. But that takes all the fun out of fishtailing it!

Get what you like and you will like it!

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

ME TOO TWICE

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Benefits of DS:
Lots of power and potential for alot more.
Comes with good tires and rims.
Nice wide stance stock, no need for aftermarket arms.
Great looks.
Bulletproof
A blast to ride.
Comfortable.
Nice susupension.
Not as heavily corked up stock as a Raptor.
No tippy.

Cons of the 650:
Weight.
Thats about all I can think of and even the weight is not a a big downfall.

Old 12-31-2002 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I'm on my second DS, a Baja this time, and my son has a Raptor. The Raptor has works shocks in front, a neccessity, a wider rear axle, also a neccessity, we flipped the linkage to lower it, a good idea. He also has a Pro-Flo air filter. My first DS, an '01, needed just as many mods, upper a-arms, works shocks, CDI. But my Baja is nearly stock, and I love it, even the front shocks. Both have 22" rear tires, which help ground clearance on these rocky trails.
.. They both have aftermarket slip-ons, and he weighs a hundred pounds less than I do. Needless to say, he wins the drags. He's 14, I'm 48. The Raptor seems short to me, like a Blaster with a thumper engine in it. The Rotax in the DS loves to rev, which is why everybody hates the stock CDI so much. The Baja CDI is better, and I haven't bothered to swap CDIs yet, but probably will before selling the '01 which has a Pami CDI.
... I love the Baja out on these western trails, sandwashes and fireroads. Reverse would be nice, but you learn to park so you can turn around easily, and don't go down nasty unknown trails first.
....Our Raptor is an '01, no gearbox problems, but I really don't like the ratios. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to have the right gear.
....The DS motor is a work of art. Gears are perfectly spaced.
....My only problem with the Baja has been hard starting in the winter, like right now.
Stock, a Baja blows a Raptor away, much nicer machine, and it can pretty much stay that way. The Raptor, even an '03, needs an extra $1500+ to make it right, even more with wider A-arms.
.....Rumor of a lighter DS keeps us all hoping, especially if the size and reliability can be maintained.

Old 12-31-2002 | 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

everything they said, and plus if you get a DS650 you can talk to us about it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2002 | 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Confort, speed, durability, handling. Only bad thing is heavy and cost of aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a DS650?