CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Questions for my First trip to LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for my First trip to LS

I 'm heading down to the ls for the first time this feb. and I would like to ask some of you who ride it a few questions. I am coming in from memphis where is the closest place for me to put in at. what is a good sand tire and will i need a sand tire for the front. any help would be helpful. I ride in alot of places but I have knot been to the desert yet, Mostly rock and muontain riding with the ds. Mark I hope you make it for this one or it will be sad.

Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

if your into racing you will want some haulers. fronts are up to you, not needed.

the south camp grounds have more camping area and more daytime parking. let me know when you are going and i'll meet you there.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

What part of , or what town is that located in. Waiting on a few friends to set the date but I will keep you posted on it. If you like riding in hills and mountains let me know. My wife is due in the middle of march so I need to hit the ls in the middle of feb. or sooner. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Hey what/where is ls? If you are in Memphis and can make it there, so can I. I live about an hour from memphis in Jonesboro AR. I seriously doubt I will have a quad by mid feburary but I thought I'd ask. If ls means little sahara, I thought that was in oklahoma....a good 10 hour drive from memphis I believe.

Old 01-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

Razorcat, I am talking about the Little Sahara. I hope you will have a bike by then, if not let me know when you do and we can hook up for some rides. Have you been to wolf pen gap trailes yet, there is some good riding still left since some trails have closed , it is in Mena ark.. coal creek just out of Knoxville is incredible and only 7 hours from memphis. hatsville and Mc Coy ( sorry if spelled wrong) is the best so far. My buddy droped his down a serious hill climb the wrong way there and had to start over on his ds or now half ds and half baja and half suspension quad. Still need to know the closest place from Memphis.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Superdavtn,

Waynoka, is the town where LS is located. The best way for you to get their is stay on I-40(approx. 35 min west of OKC) till you get to exit 108 ( I think), there will be a Texaco,and Loves truck stops, can't miss it, then you will take Hwy 281 striaght north (1.5) hours to LS.

Keep us posted.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

hey suprdave I'd love to ride with ya sometime. I'm so itching to buy a quad...I'm probably gonna go with my bud and buy a couple raptors but thats a few months down the road. As far as going to LS, I'm not sure that drive is worth it. I know it would be fun but with drive time included you'll need at least 3 days just to ride 1. I'd like to find a good spot to ride in northeast arkansas or west tennessee...if you know of any places lemme know. There is supposed to be a place in marked tree arkansas (between Jonesboro and Memphis) that has sand drag, mud, mx track...sounds fun but I don't want to go until I am comfortable with my quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'd like a more or less private area in the beginning.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there's two - Little Sahara Oklahoma, and Little Sahara Utah. OK is 2000 acres of sand, Utah is as big as a small country.
I love OK - lots of wooded sand trails, and night riding allowed!! Both are well worth the drive, sand is God's gift to us riders, and The best of it is west of the Mississippi.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help biggerisbetter and Hightower, it is appreciated and I will keep you posted. Razor, what about the ds instead of the raptor. I have a 2000, the 1st to hit memphis that was for sale with over 2500 miles of hard trails and biggg boulders with lots of mountain climbing, deep water crossings, and all out assault on dirt with one thing that went out, the temp. guage. Why would you over look such a machine so easly. Please reply, your fun is riding on this question.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a link to Little Sahara There is a map maker there.
Waynoka is a small town but plenty of shops in town have quad stuff in stock, there's even a shop in the park.
Jims sand toys has a large stock of Skat Trak tires at a good price, call ahead & see if they got what you want & pick them up there to save freight.
I prefer Extreme Haulers (I run 8 paddle 22 x 11 x10's on my Raptor) & you'll need Mohawks on the front.
If you go with Edges you'll lose a lot of hook but will turn better & can use your stock fronts.

There is a couple of good restraunts (the one that was an old train station has great chicken fried steak!!)
Oklahoma weather in Feb can be strange, Be prepaired for anything from snow, T-storms or perfect weather.
Always scout the dunes before getting too much speed!!! When the wind picks up it can really peak the dunes, you can power through deep soft powder on the top to find a 30' straight drop off on the other side. Many people are seriously injured because they don't know whats on the other side of a dune. .
Check the dunes every time you go out, in a strong wind it only takes a couple of hours to completely change the dunes.

The big dunes are on the North end, check out the North east edges of the park where the dunes have moved over very large trees, Tree shots are a hoot!!!

Pay close attention to the park bounderies, you can lose your quad if your caught on private land.
That rarely happens unless they catch you out of bounds several times but it can happen.

There are big dunes, small dunes, tree dunes, sand trails, jumps & open areas.
It's a great place to ride, just be safe & enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: Questions for my First trip to LS