CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help with a pipe again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a pipe again!

Ok, now I have to get a different pipe. I asked this question a while back, but it's a little different this time. To make a long story short I got pulled over by DNR today and upon other things he said my pipe was WAY too loud. It's the stock pipe with no packing but thats how I got it. Now I cant ride it untill I get a quieter pipe. He said they are really cracking down on loud pipes around my area. I wanted to know of any pipes that sound good but also something that I wont get a ticket for. I see that white brothers has a quiet core insert for their pipe. A lot of you guys like the mbrp pipe but is it in the 93-94 or 95 decible range? ANY info on a performance pipe that is not loud will be a big help, because now I have to get one........ I mean after I pay my fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Not too sure on loudness. Maybe ill send you my stock system when I get my new MBRP I ordered yesterday. Neighbors think im trouble now? Let me give the new pipe a try and see how it is.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

mbrp is the quietest pipe i have heard for the ds..besides stock

Old 01-20-2003, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

First off, I would go ahead with the MBRP pipe (I will be very soon).

Second, the next time DNR gives you any trouble, ask him what the regulation states. Most states allow up to 95 or 98 decibles measured 20" from the pipe at a 45 degree angle. Some have requirements that this measurement has to be taken at a specific rpm. Others just at an idle. Saying a pipe is "too loud" is pretty subjective, one person may think it's loud, another may not.

Once you have that information from him, ask him to pull out his sound level meter. If he doesn't have one, tell him to pack sand! If he does have one, make him run the test, he'll see that it's within legal limits, then you can tell him to pack sand.

Generally, dealers aren't allowed to sell quads/motorcycles unless they meet the states regulations. (thats why the california models have all that damn emissions crap that I have to strip off), so the stock pipe should be well within legal limits assuming that you haven't modified the pipe.

My guess is the DNR is full of sh*t. Tell him to pound sand!

Old 01-20-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

living in wisconsin sucks, the man is always keeping us down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ha.ha. i put on a graydon pipe full lenth with the supertrapp end on it w/12 disc and got into michigan sand dunes ( there worse than wis dnr) with no problem. make sure that you can poke a stick into the end of the pipe ( if has an internal baffle) because the dnr will do this on after market stuff to check for spark arrestors.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jeffroe, You live in wisconsin too I see. Do you know the decible limit or what it has to be in between so i will be safe from trouble?
For everyone else is there any other pipes that would be ok? Just so I have a little bit of a variety.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone else have any info? Any ideas on different pipes would be appreciated. Thanx.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

i don't know if wisconsin has set a decible number yet? last time i talked to the dnr they said they were going to start cracking down on quote loud exhaust. most pipes that are run with an open core will most likely to get you in trouble. find a pipe with a good spark arrestor and a more mellow tone ( the mbrp has been getting alot of good press here) good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]