CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Temp guage sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp guage sensor?

I was thinking about putting in a temp guage where the tach is suppose to be, i was just wondering where the sensor should be mounted? should it be with the thermostat? replaces one of those sensors? or should i make a piece of aluminum that goes into the return line and the sensor will go into? maybe put fins on it so it could dual as a supercooler?

Old 01-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

common, someone must know

Old 01-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

I just got an inline temp guage from warpdriveperformance.com. I haven't installed it yet, but I'll give you a full report after I do. I'm not too impressed with the looks of it, but it was fairly inexpensive, and if it works as advertised, I'll be satisfied. Stay Tuned

Old 01-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on the size of the sensor for the gauge you plan to use. On mine the sensor was small, 1/8 NPT, so I drilled and tapped the thermostat cover and mounted it there. I wouldn't want to remove either of the stock sensors as one controls the fan and the other turns on the red warning light. A tube in the upper radiator hose would work also.
Just my 2¢.

Old 01-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

i was hoping for somethin that i have mount up near the dash, but i would like somethin that i could mount the sensor where the sensor for the red light is

Old 01-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to do that, I think the red light sensor is 1/8 pipe (NPT) thread. Just find a temp gauge that is electric, not mechanical, with a 1/8 pipe sensor. They do exist, try an auto parts store. Take the sensor with you when you go shopping to make sure of the thread size, or so you can get an adaptor to make it work.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I got my warp drive and decided not to even put the dang thing in.. heck the it only goes to 220. The DS run normal in that range. Fan comes on at what 230??
I got a new crapdrive temp gauge if you want to buy it.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ken,
I also got the gas/cooler rack. I just got it and it gets in the way of my FMF!!!!!! you got the same problem? what size cooler did you get???

Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Mudstud,
I only have the six pack rack, not the one with the gas can. I use a little square cooler made by Igloo, I think. I got it at Target. The rack clears my pipe by a couple of inches. By the way, the DS shouldn't run anywhere near to 230 degrees, the fan comes on at 200 degrees on mine. The highest temp I've seen is 212.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

i just installed a digital temp guage last week. i used a daytona digital temp guage ( parts unlimited) real small about 2"wide x 3"long. i stole the reflector base off my sons bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ground down the reflector flat, attached to cross bar ( looks sweet) took off the temp light sensor ( top sensor on thermostat housing) had to extend the base for the temp sensor, all the fitting were 1/8" pipe easy stuff, hooked up power to guage done. glad i did because i found out that my temp ice racing was only 100 deg, put some cardboard infront of radiator now runs 150-160 looks good water resistant[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Temp guage sensor?