CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

outlander 400 ride review

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlander 400 ride review

I have used the ebs in low range, for the most part not a problem. On really steep ground in really slimey mud it will act like the polaris, truthfully I have not found it a problem. The advantages outweigh the few times it is a problem. A little gas will usually take of any control issues. I have noticed no problems using the rear brake. The reverse is only high range but is controlled by a limiter that you can switch out of if necessary. Again this is a first rate machine and a real pleasure to ride. The control and feel are first rate.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

TTaylor; I'm not saying the ebs is affecting the 4wd, I said with the Pol when you put it in 4wd the electro magnets only engage the front tires when the rear tires rotate 10% more than the front, That is normal in the way Pol works. Now when you are going down hill & let of on the gas the rear tires slip because the front wheels are not engaged & holding you back, its as if the bike is in 2wd.

Old 01-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Pike40,
I think the Polaris may have a slightly stronger EBS. Because it will lock up the rear when the hill gets steep no matter the condition. If the Outlander only does it on steep slippery ground then that is fine with me. I agree that the few times it becomes a disadvantage aren't outweighed by the benefits received from the EBS. I am sure as with the Polaris that you just put it in high range and the EBS is just right for desending steep hills. Thanks for your input. I am practically sold on the Outlander. Hopefully I can get a ride on one soon. Please keep us informed as to any further findings, problems, or benefits the machine offers.

SXR6,
Okay I see what your saying that even though the EBS is locking the rear wheels, the front are still in 4wd and the EBS will work on the front and hold the bike back better. Where as on the Polaris the fronts are free wheeling and if the rear lock up with the EBS then you only have your brakes to hold you back. With this in mind the Outlander should have more control desending hills.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

ttaylor....I have not ridden the polaris with ebs to compare and I have only a few hours on this machine. I think the ebs is a nice feature and is an asset so far. Good luck with your quad research and let us know what you think when you get a chance to ride one of these, I think you will be impressed.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

By the way Bombardier just updated their website to show the Outlander XT (in green!)..... http://www.bombardier-atv.com/atv/we...ms=N.US.105.62. I think the handlebar guards could have been a little smaller. It looks overwhelming at the moment. Because of the amount of plastic around the handlebars and instrumentation, you can't just put Acerbis's on it.

Old 01-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen the XT and I really like the front bumper. I agree about the hand guards. but I don't see why you couldn't just add a set of Acerbis, FMF, EMGO, Maier or any other brand of hand guard to the quad. the nice thing about their hand guards was the bar across the top. This would make it real easy to mount some handle bar mounted headlights. I do a lot of riding at night and there is nothing better than have some bright lights up on the handle bars so you can see where your going around corners.

Other than the front bumper I don't see anything that I would like to have on the quad for the extra money $800. I would prefer to have ITP aluminum rims, Ramsey 3000 whinch with remote, and Aftermarket handguards,

Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

I'll check when I get home, but I think there is too much plastic in the front of the handlebar that wraps up to almost the thumb controls (see website pics of outlander). It is totally integrated with the instrumentation panel on the backside of the bars.

The acerbis's (or similar) will need a lower attachment point even with the "Acerbis ATV adapters" (I have a pair of Rally's on my Z400) that is right smack where the plastic is. I'll have to do some custom cutting if I want to add some aftermarket ones unfortunately.... and it's too new to cut into it!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another ride today, more hills and mud than anything I have ridden to date. Hate to keep saying this but what a blast to ride this machine. Tested the ebs per TTaylors comparison to Polaris. It works great, again on steep ground it will lock the rearend up but a little throttle and 4wd will keep you in complete control. Also throttle response is exceptional as is the ride.

Endoman...I rode with a buddy today who has the same bike with quite a few less hours. There is something to the break in period. At this point my bike is noticebly quicker from a dead stop. I estimate you could see a 10-15% increase once it is broke in.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Help I'm new on here.
If you don't mind me asking. are you paying retail for the Outlander or can you get a good deal? A freind and I are looking tp pick up a couple in the next week or two. We've been told that Bombardier is giving a three year warranty till the end of February.
Has anybody had any problems with this machine? From All the tests and word of mouth , it seems to be a very good ride. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Roadrat....I sent you a private message with some info in it. Hope it worked.

Quick Reply: outlander 400 ride review