CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anybody else wrap their headpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else wrap their headpipe?

While I had my Big Gun off replacing the fan & decided to wrap the headpipe with fiberglass wrap & while I was at it I went ahead & wrapped it all the way back to the silencer (got carried away maybe). Anyway, I guess the theory is the hotter you keep the temps inside the headpipe, the faster the exhaust gas is scavenged out the silencer. Also nice to let off less heat up front for cooling issues. First ride impressions.......after all the smoke & stink went away I can honestly say I can feel a slight increase in performance, I'm not saying it's like adding a turbo or anything but definitely noticable. Any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very enteresting!

I thought about that also. I have a ceramic coated stock exhaust that I like aswell.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

been looking into doing that also, very tempting to try

Old 02-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

AZSand had his dual drag pipes wrapped. Maybe he'll chime in later.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys, header wrap in itself is more for heat protection than performance. Performance gains would be neligable. I do use header wrap on my GSXR750 race bike that is set up for track sprint racing(8 laps). Reason it is on their is to shied close parts to the pipes, fan, plastic, my leg etc. My gradon headpipe on my DS does burn my leg quite often, and ive considered wraping it, but here is the reason i dont:
you must be careful using the stuff because it will not increase performance to a noticably level as stated earlier, and it Does not allow heat dissappation in the head pipe, the DS already has this problem, onec wrapped the already overtemped pipe is not allowed to cool, and will get even hotter, surpasing what limits is was designed to take, this will cause blueing, peeling, flaking, or at worst deformation and cracking. This is what i have been told by many at the track when it comes to road racing, i would assume the same rules would apply to our ds's, one pit mechanic told me once that the wrap on my gsxr headers was too close to the engine, and i needed to allow more exposed pipe for cooling close to the engine, so i removed the wrap from the first 6 inches of header pipe.
I could be wrong about all this but this is what ive been told from some good street bike racing mechanics and the DS headpipe gets hotter than anything else ive seen so i know they would say not to wrap it. I have never heard anyone say the stuff would increase performance.. that seems a bit out there.
Jetjock16.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

The performance aspect of the whole thing may just be a plecebo effect, could simply be in my head but from what I have researched the sole prupose of doing this is to scavenge the exhaust gasses out of the exhaust system more rapidly. I don't know what part of the power curve this is supposed to help but my guess is top end since that is where the header is subjected to the most heat. Once again, the performance part of it, if any, is nice but keeping things cooler up front is a big plus for anyone.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I just had an idea for the heat shield. I know that almost all aftermarket head pipes don't have the bolt holes for the heat shield to bolt up. But why couldn't you use hose clamps to go around the pipe then attach it to the heat shield. Would regular hose clamps hold up to the heat. Has anyone tried this or anything similar?