CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Replacing the steering stem (How Hard?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the steering stem (How Hard?)

I need to replace the steering stem on my 02 Baja due to a roll over. How big of a job is it? Also if anyone knows of a good place to get a stem please PM me. Thanks!!

Old 02-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

hey baja, i tweaked mine too in a rollover, her's the fun thing though. i took mine to work and fixed it with thicker tubing, made it longer so my new renthals would clear and made the top plate out of half inch plate, it was real easy to do, and the best part it was free, umm i'm a machinist by trade and if other people have bent thier's the best thing to do would be to get in touch with a machine shop, i don't expect any shop would charge u more then 50-75$ to fix it, just my 2 cents....

Old 02-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

start by removing the handle bars first, then all the plastic and gas tank in the front. this will expose the center mount (rubber) 2 bolts there. then down at the base there are more mounting bolts and tie rod connections. i did it the hard way without removing the gas tank (bad idea) should be able to knock it out in about 2-3hrs depending on made you get or how much beer you'r buddies drink watching you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] good luck p.s. i have a stock stem if you need. pm me for $$$

Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Dang Scott what ya doing. The tires are on the other side of the quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I still have my stock one that I bent in a similar manner[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I did straighten it out and used it while I was waiting and waiting and waiting on mine from Timmy Boy. Your welcome to it if you want. Mine was bent back toward the tank so it was easy to straighten.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hey joshiepoo welcome aboard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ya know we can always use a machinist around here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

If money is not an issue get the Roll Design with some oversized T2's.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

hi again, ok here's how i got mine out so i could fix it, take off the nose plastic, light, disconnect all the dash stuff, take off the dash hoop thingy, split the plastic bearing block with a screwdriver at worst, undo the tie rod nuts on the bottom, remove the nut on the bottom of the stem bearing and finally undo all the bolts holding the oil tank in place, oh yeah, u HAVE to remove the gas tank to get at the bolts on the back of the plastic bearing block, i worked mine down through the frame and out the bottom through the a arm, it helps to have it up on a stand or elevated at least, and of course while you're this deep into your quad look to make sure nothing else is tweaked, u don't have to disconnect the oil tank lines at all either,....at least i did'nt have to,... i mentioned i was a macinist, check out my buddys pics of his quad ( bombDS650GOD ) i have all the same stuff on mine, i'll get some pics soon though, finished the heel guards last week, and working on a set of grab bars this week.... peace.....

Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: joshiepoo
undo all the bolts holding the oil tank in place, u don't have to disconnect the oil tank lines at all either,....at least i did'nt have to,...
Hmmm....
This is the first I've read that you have to loosen the oil tank and/or move it out of the way somewhat.

Anyone else have to do this???

Old 09-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...and even with everything out of the way it is still a pain in the a$$ to get out. Just take your time. Cause you'll need it.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Once you get then new stem work it in but due not bolt it up. First bolt the bottom oil tank bolt then mount the stem and bolt it up.

Quick Reply: Replacing the steering stem (How Hard?)