CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

adjusting valves...have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting valves...have some questions

Hey guys~
I've been having a hell of a time getting my DS started below 25 degrees so I assumed my valves needed adjusting. I'm adjusting them for the first time since my 10 hour dealer inspection, and I'm guessing it's been close to 200 hours since that first adjustment. I did not use the TDC bolt, but rather lined up the marks on the cam gears. The exhaust clearance measured at .005", but I could not fit the .0015 on either of the intakes.
1st question-Will lining up the cam gears give me an accurate measurement, or do I need to use the TDC bolt in the crank?
2nd question-Is my exhaust clearance sufficient, or should I adjust that up to .006" or more?
3rd question-Since I obviously have to do something about the intake clearance, will I need thicker or thinner shims? Thicker, right?
4th question-Have I potentially done any damage to any internal parts due to the zero clearance on the intake valves?

I have to thank this forum for all the info it has provided. I have collected enough info from this forum to do a complete valve adjustment and shim replacement without buying a $50 shop manual. Thanks to all who have contributed their positive replies and keep 'em coming!

BTW~

Mudstud, If you read this, my piston looked exactly like you described yours. A brown residue on the surface, but it seemed to scratch off easily when I lightly scraped it with a screwdriver.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

1) I belive the TDC bolt is really ment for 2 things,
a: Finding TDC
b: securing the piston so it does not move

2) I have was told that 6-7 is better. It is closed longer so it cools better resulting in a longer lasting vavle. Mine are at .007 and I was told to keep it there.

3) I may be incorrect but if you have a short gap you put in a smaller shim. Larger gap put in a larger shim.

4) The only thing I can think of would possibly be the top of the piston or the cam lobe.. You would have to pull the vavle to ensure its not bent.. a caliper would test the cam.. pull the head to see the piston..

I am not an expert but thats what I have gatherd so far...

Old 02-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

the tdc bolt should be used, because on more than one occasion the chain has unknowingly slipped on the lower gear. then your timing is all out of whack.
also no start/hard start in low temps could also be, too small of idle jet.

Old 02-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

i had to put .0012 thinner shims in mine to make the intakes right. i think after a lot of riding the valves tulip or the spring pressure suck them up into the head deeper which makes the clearance less. if you have a buddy with a milling machine you can get him to mill the old shims down a little at a time to them right