CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Battery is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery is dead?

Thanks for the replies. I'll go check it out as soon as I can and let you all know what happens.
thanks again

Old 02-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

I'm pretty sure my problem is the stator. (That sucks)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I have put an ohm meter on the battery while running it up to 2500-3000 RPM and has only about 11 volts when running, meaning there is no juice going to the battery. So I have to test the stator, and i'm afraid thats it because I have checked the wires to see if the are worn through and I didn't find anything.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The only thing I have left to test is the stator. Oh yes of course, I have checked on a price for a new stator from Bombardier and it cost 490 FUN LOVIN DOLLARS!!!! If anyone has one or if they know of a different company that makes them for cheaper PLEASE TELL ME. HELP!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

I'm pretty sure my problem is the stator. (That sucks) I have put an ohm meter on the battery while running it up to 2500-3000 RPM and has only about 11 volts when running, meaning there is no juice going to the battery. So I have to test the stator, and i'm afraid thats it because I have checked the wires to see if the are worn through and I didn't find anything. The only thing I have left to test is the stator. Oh yes of course, I have checked on a price for a new stator from Bombardier and it cost 490 FUN LOVIN DOLLARS!!!! If anyone has one or if they know of a different company that makes them for cheaper PLEASE TELL ME. HELP!!!!!
I wouldn't be so quick to replace it unless you have nothing better to spend $490 on.

Unplug the voltage regulator and use the volt meter to test the red and black wires on the machine side of the plug (red lead on red wire - blk on blk) you should see battery voltage.
if not you have a blown fuse or a wiring problem on either ground or pos.

If you see batt voltage, check the stator before you replace it
Somebody with a shop manual can check to be sure but i think you should see aprox
65 volts A/C on each yellow wire at 3000 rpm when I get home tonight I will check it out on mine

Old 02-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Thanks JSsDs! I'll try this and see if it will tell my anything.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

OKay, I ran mine and got voltage readings

You need a multimeter that will read a/c voltage set up to read a/c voltage

1) unplug the voltage regulator plug that has three yellow wires in it. You will be testing the side that connects to the wire loom not the voltage regulator
2) Connect your ground lead of the multimeter to the battery negative terminal
3) Start your engine and run it up to around 3000rpm
4) connect the red lead of your multimeter to one of the three yellow wires. All three yellow wires will read the same and should read around 40 volts. Voltage will naturally go up and down with rpm.

This is really easy if you have the right multimeter took me about 10 minutes... pissed off the neighbors though...guess I should have left the door closed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

There you go, better then the shop manual cuz its free [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

if it is a bad stator (heaven forbid), you might check into getting it rewound instead of getting it replaced. I would check with rickystator.com

Old 02-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Sorry I wasn't on-line earlier. Your problem really isn't a problem. I have an '03 Baja also. I had the same problem so I tool it back to the dealer. The dealer is new so he called the factory. The factory told him even though the machine is off, there is a constant draw on the battery. They told me that if the machine is going to sit for more than 2 weeks, pull one of the terminals. Also, if you just start it several times and not really ride it enough to charge the same problem will happen. I haven't had a problem since I started disconnecting the battery. Hope this helps. It is possible to have a bad battery, but I've read that the stock cell is a good one.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

I don't know what dealer you went to, but that is a complete line of BULL ****!. COMPLETE CRAP, HORSEPUCKY, DOO DOO etc... etc...

I personally think that they couldn't find the problem.

if you look at the wiring diagram (in the shop manual) you can plainly see that this is not true.

FIND A NEW DEALER!!!!!!

pads, I feel sorry for you for having a dealer that give's out misinformation like that! It's a complete LIE!!!!!

Now it is true that a battery WILL self discharge after a period of time (three or more months at normal temperatures) if not properly maintained. But there IS NO DRAW on the battery with the ignition off, except when the temp switch that controls the fan is still hot, the fan circuit is not controlled by the ignition switch. If there is ANY draw on the battery with the ignition is off (assuming the bike is not in a overheat situation causing the fan to run), SOMETHING IS WRONG.

I was in this exact situation two weeks after I picked up my new 03 baja. The dealer couldn't find the problem, so I diagnosed it myself. It just happened to be the temp switch had a high resistance short to ground which would take about a week to drain the battery. It took me a whole 10 minutes to find.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Battery is dead?

iv'e jump started my quad off of my truck and off of another DS it works great, just use ordinary jumper cables...

Old 02-27-2003, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

I would try to avoid jumpstarting your quad if at all possible.

if the jumpstarting doesn't get your voltage regulator/rectifier, forcing your ds to charge a dead battery after you disconnect the cables could.

The charging system is not really meant to handle that kind of charging load, it is designed to maintain a charge on a battery, not bring a dead battery to life. It puts an enormous strain on the voltage regulator, and could severly shorten the lifespan of it.

If at all possible, use a battery charger to bring the battery back (on a slow charge). I also highly recommend using a "battery tender" system to maintain the charge on the battery when not in use.

Quick Reply: Battery is dead?