CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Battery is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery is dead?

My bud and I haven't taken our quads out in 3 weeks due to crappy weather, so today we decide to go start 'em up for a while. Mine cranked right up but his battery is dead. At least we think it's dead; when you turn on the key nothing happens at all. No lights, no clicks when you hit the start button, nothing. Anyone experienced this before? Also is it possible to use jumper cables to start his or should we push start it? Both quads are '03 model DS650's with maybe 15 hours on them.

Old 02-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

1: Take a 12 volt light tester and test the battery and see if the light comes on..Does it work?

2: Under your seat next to your airbox just under the top of the frame you see 2 wires going in to wire holders. Thers is a 25 amp fuse on the RHS of the airbox that is for the charging system. If that pops you get nada..

3: it could have had a wire come luse under the dash. There are 2 wires out of the key, its a white and brown. Make sure they are all in..

PS, check the nobrainers,, cables on the bat??

4: bring it to the dealer..

Old 02-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Hey mudstud thanks for the suggestions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

after blown fuses, and assuming you didn't leave the ignition on, the most common causes for this problem is in 3 areas. (listed in order of simplest to check to hardest). However before you do this, double check both fuses under the seat, and look for any worn/shorted wiring.

1. Check that the ground wire from the battery is securely attached to the frame.

2. check the temperature switch (it's used to kick the cooling fan on) on the water jacket on the right hand side of the head. These switches are not sealed from moisture and can corrode or arc causing a high resistance short that will drain your battery over time. You need a multimeter to check this. When the engine is cold, the resistance between the terminals should be infinate, if not, replace it. Also make sure that there isn't a short to ground from either of the two terminals. If there is, replace it.

3. you may have burnt your voltage regulator/rectifier box. I don't have the wiring diagram for the guts of the box, so I couldn't tell you how to check it.

It's possible that the battery is bad, BUT, it's probably not a defective battery. I know, that doesn't make sense. But if the battery is bad, it is more likely to be a symptom of being over discharged or being charged on too high of a current. Don't ever quick charge these batterys, they can't handle it. Every time you do, it shortens the life of the battery. Same thing goes with over discharge. Some people say that every time you COMPLETELY discharge a "starter" battery, it cuts it's life in half. I don't think it's that bad, but I do know it has a significant effect on the lifespan. However, I digress. Proper battery maintainance is a whole nother subject, and I garantee that none of us do it 100% correctly.

-Tom

Old 02-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

I have a similar problem, my battery wont stay charged. I have checked everything and replaced the voltage regulator. That wasn't the problem. You can ride for one whole day WITHOUT LIGHTS and it's fine. Then I have to charge battery up again. I am very afraid that it's the stator. Please help!!!

Old 02-25-2003, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Man I love electrical problems but then again its 80% of my job.

Razorcat,
Do as Mudstud suggested and check the battery for voltage using a test light but While the test light is connected turn the key on and hit the starter. One of the following will happen;

A) If the light stays on you have a bad connection or fuse.
A1) check all connections and fuses as mentioned earlier in this thread.

B) If the light goes out anytime during the test, the battery is dead
B1)Have your friend charge his battery at 2amps for 6 hours, then;
B2) Turn off key switch - and Remove the negative cable from the battery
B3) Connect the clip of the test light to the cable end and poke the battery teminal with the point, (do not touch the cable to the battery during this test)
If the light comes on - the system is draining the battery. Take it to the dealer unless you think you can tackle it yourself. I can point you in the right direction if you like.
B4) If the light does not come on then no drain and the battery is most likely bad. Keep your eye on it and check the charge in another three weeks. You never know..maybe he just left the key on.

Pushinthelimit,
You may have a bad stator but you should check all connections including both fuses first.
If all is well, find somebody with a multimeter and knows how to use it.
1) Start the engine and run it at ~2500 rpm and check the voltage at the battery. It should be over 13.5 volts with the lights on.
1A) If not- have the shop check the stator. They will run the engine at ~2500 rpm and check the a/c voltage on the three yellow wires that go to your voltage reg and compare it with the shop manual. I don't have a manual so I can't tell you what they should be
1B) If so -your battery may be the problem.

My guess is that you have a bad or loose ground connection.

Good luck to you guys and let us know what you found.

Old 02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

charge it back up and tell him to turn the key off next time.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Key wasn't left on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

hey, I just wanna point out that if a battery is dead on a DS you can't push start it - a DS will not run without a good battery, a lot of bikes are this way. Its not like where you can pull the cables off a car battery after she's started and she'll still run - a lot of bikes, DS inlcuded, gotta have juice to make juice.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Battery is dead?

My buddy's 2002 just had this problem at Glamis over the Pres Holiday weekend. He bought a new battery only to find out that the original , when opened up, had no liquid left in it! Dried up! Natta! So check your battery for liquid, top it off (Distilled water) and charge it again. That may be all it is!
P.S. Glamis was awsome! by Monday the 17th at 12pm 50,000 people went down to 50 at Gecko road. We had the whole place to ourselves! But still got the "Glamis experience" before EVERONE left.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Battery is dead?