CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Battery is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery is dead?

well razor what did he find?

Old 02-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Still haven't got a chance to look at it....between the ice/snow and our Novell server crashing we've been too busy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Server is back up and the weather should be better soon
Gonna try looking at obvious things (good ground, water in batt, wires under dash, fuses) first and then move on to other things.

Old 03-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Well I couldn't find the fuses, but I didn't see any bare wires or anything loose...so we threw the battery charger on it and started it. Used a meter to see if the system was charging and everything looked ok. We let the battery charge for a while and then started it while charging and went riding for about an hour. We were afraid that it would not start but it died once while we were out and it started back up just fine. Maybe the really cold weather just drained the juice out of the battery? Although my battery was fine... What do you guys think? I'm afraid there is a draw on the battery somehow.
I suppose if we go back in a few days and the battery is dead again we'll know. Or should we get a new battery put in and see if it drains it too? I hope the battery is covered under warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Cold weather can be hard on a battery. But it's usually only a problem if it has a low charge. Believe it or not, the lower the charge on the battery the higher the freezing point of the battery. If your battery freezes, don't even bother with it, just go get a new one. A sure sign of a battery freezing is bulging of the battery. This is really true with automotive and deep cycle batteries, I'm not sure what the freezing points are like on a sealed motorcycle battery. But it's possible.

Hot weather is actually harder on a battery as far as maintaining a charge is concerned.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery is dead?

Razorcat,
Go back a few posts on this thread, I detailed the procedure for checking for a drain. I would do the tests before attempting to replace the battery. If the battery is good the shop wont warranty it and may charge you for the test (most better shops won't charge though)
The fuses are under the seat on both sides of the intake tube. They look like plugs with two wires but they actually are the fuses. The outer covering is mounted to the frame so all you do is release the latch and pull the plug out.