CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

American Star A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Star A-arms

Just got my A-arms in. They look really good. Solid.. I can't wait to get them on,
and even more, I can't wait to get the time to put them on.

What kind of caster, camber & toe settings seem to work well for you guys that
have these. I only bought the uppers off of ebay. I will be using stock lowers,
or possibly fabricating my own lowers out of 1/2" wood rods & sheet metal screws.
Do you guys think that oak would be strong enough?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SD

Old 02-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Are you kidding??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why waste good wood and sheet metal screws when legos and bubble gum will hold it together.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

I my Gosh!! Macgyver can I get your autograph!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info MarkyNark. I've never heard anyone complain about their stock lowers and I knew that the uppers would correct the geometry, so I assumed that the aftermarket lowers were more for cosmetic purposes than they were for handling (as long as one is keeping with stock width of course). I admit that they do look better with a matching set but when I saw the ASR uppers on Ebay for $199, I couldn't resist.

Take care,
SD

Old 02-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

No, I meant that I've never heard anyone complain about the stock lowers. I've never really heard one way or the other about the aftermarket lowers. But, if the company is that good about replacing the lowers when something goes wrong then I defitely feel good about purchasing my uppers from them.

Old 02-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

MarkyNark and Soonerdunner: heres the deal.... The stock lowers work fine for std width they are stronger than aftermarket units because 99% of th aftermarket units use ball joints for the lower aarm connection to the wheel, the stock lower uses a heim joint which is much stronger! Now if you want to go +1 width like im about to go, the only company that makes a lower with a hiem joint is the new style TBR's, take a look at the website of TBR and like HSD to compare the differnce of the lowers, HSD is the ball joint type, you can really tell the differance, the lower ball joint is the shear point in the setup. The TBR setup is stronger than stock... (all setups use upper ball joint, as there is not half as much leverage due to the fact the shock is not connected to the upper)
Jetjock16

Old 02-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure if you have ASR uppers that at full droop they dont punch a hole through your shock!

Mark, Please don't hold back!

Old 02-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

ok guys i did it, i do believe the new style TBR's are the only way to go with a full set of aarms due to the heim joint on the lower, but im having trouble justifyin $725 for them, soooo i went ahead and got a set of the ASR uppers only off ebay( so will use stock lower which already has heim type joint) cause these ASR's are only 199$$ , if they turn out to be a good fix than ill have saved over $500 so im going to try them, id imagine they be here in a week or two

DSride, what do you mean punch a hole, do the shocks contact the sides of the aarm at full extension? is that what you mean, is there anyway to adjust them to avoid that???

that sucks if that is a problem, i was hopping the'd be a cheap yet quality product, well see, i also ordered a set of TCS fronts so that will be nice
Jetjock16.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey have you guy's checked out the Strong Arm A-arms? These are the ones that DSA bought, and everyone know s he puts a knarly pounding on his quad! He loves em!

Quick Reply: American Star A-arms