CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New to this game...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this game...

BigDaddy331...

Some big guys in here offering sound advice to one helluva big guy! Watch your chain roller! I don't know if Bomb upgraded it and it was one of the first things to go...I bought one that fits a banshee and have had no problems since. You mentioned Dumont next week...me and a good friend will be there this weekend if you can make it out that would be cool! Keep an eye out for a white Dodge dually 4x4 pulling a Ragin fifth-wheel...Tony--Angry Baja Boy's rig--he's a big guy also and owns a Baja 01 model (I think) and has a good understanding of mods etc. Welcome to the forum!

Jim

Old 03-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Welcome O big one as you said if the rear spring feels weak contact me and ill go out and give you an eibach # off
my drag bike it is set up very stiff for traction.
And no it is not easy at all to float valves on a ds !!!
Well good luck and enjoy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

iknow my wife would float valves if she could, she only knows full trottle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but what can i say it is working for her. so i wouldn't worry much about valves at this point.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I go about 320 pounds a just set up my suspension it will handle your weight. I haven't ridden with it adjusted it but it was a piece of cake to adjust. I have the sag set at 4 and a half as everywhere I read recommended 4-5 inches. Now I need to start playing with the rebound and compression which I guess is personal preference.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey rex WELCOME to you too. Im going to get a puny guy complex hanging out with this crowd[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Again, I appreciate all the help, without it, I'd be lost.

Jiminok, I won't be able to go this weekend due to the fact that I really need to get some good trail riding in on the beast to break it in for next weeks dyno tuning. I'm sure we'll hook up at some point though. Dumont is really close and we do a lot of day trips! Depending on what we are pulling, we can usually get there within the two hour window.

AZ, about the sprocket thing. Will the 14 or 15 tooth front give me more grunt? I think that it would give me less grunt and more top. I'm confused [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Rex, the only after market springs I've ever bought were from White Bros. I am aware of Eibach, as they have been around for ever. I'll see what the stock spring will handle this week end and go from there. I'm thinking that 3 inches will be right on, and after it takes a sack/set, I'll be in the 4 inch range. I'm also thinking that a little more compression damp is needed and a scratch more rebound damp will be required to handle the increase in spring rate. What are your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Old 03-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

bigdaddy the smaller the front the lower the gearing, just the opposite on the rear, good luck

Old 03-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Too much to read above, if I repeat something sorry.

CDI - oh yeah, its a plus - increased rev limit and advanced igniton timing. The stock rev limit is not as big a deal as it seems though, as no increase in power is achieved past 7K on a stock motor anyway. For '03, standard and Baja DS's both have 7900 limit, which is plenty if you train shift habits.

Clutch springs - need heavier than stock, for sure, or you'll wear it out the first paddle tire trip you take and decide to start dragging, like me and so many others have.

Don't run 87 octane - 91 or higher. Even the manaul states this. Stock compression is 9.7:1.
Suspension set-upPay no attention to the comments on sensitive steering at this site - that was corrected in '02. But the shock setting suggestions and toe hold true.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Welcome bigdaddy,

The best and cheapest way to go faster.......try and drop some lbs.

I speak from experience

265 down to 220

My rap is so much faster now,,,and the warranty is still good.

again, welcome
Mark

Old 03-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks high tower... I'll read the suspension set up stuff and I'm sure it will come in handy.

As far as the clutch springs go.... Wow. Is that true. I need to do this right away. I'm not sure that I can find them, and have them in the beast before next Saturday...... What's up with the clutch spring thing?????

Best place to buy them?
Best price?
How hard is the install?
It sounds like I need a book... where do I get one?

AZ, about the 14 or 15 tooth sprockets... how much of my top will be affected by the change? Will that eat the clutch even more? And so that I understand, If I go to a 14 or 15, my low end will be stronger and I'll lose top right?

Just want to be clear.

Hey Bing.... congrats on the weight loss. A quick question, have you ever seen a 6'10" flamingo? Now I know that most all of us could use a trimming here or there but I'm not going to lose 60 pounds. If I did, I'd get blown off the bike. I'm not fat, just a little chunkey at the old age of 33. I played Div. 1 college basketball and continue to be active. I will never be the 179lb'er that my buddy is. But then again, I can pick up the back of his mini truck by myself. I also full-squat 550lbs. Guess I'm more that what the bike was designed for, but I will have the advantage when lifting my bike out of the sand when I get stuck. I'm clearly not the mold that companies build stuff for. I just do the best that I can with what I got [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Any info on the springs and sprockets would be very helpful.

Much Grass

Quick Reply: New to this game...