CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New to this game...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this game...

first let me say that this seems to be a great/active forum.

That said, I am a newbie to the Bomb! I bought my first quad about a year ago and loved it (for the most part). I found that my family loved the hobby, and started getting more and more into it. Even built a sand rail just for fun ($$$$$$$$$$$$). My first purchase was a Polaris Sportsman 700. It is a pretty cool quad, and the family has had a ball on it. As many of you have figured out, I soon became in need of something a little more sporty. That brings me to my current venture. I just purchased our second quad - a new 03 DS 650.

A little back ground if you will. I am 6'10" and 310lbs. The 700 and the Bomb seemed to be the only thing that really came close to fitting. We play at the dunes quite a bit but do trail ride when ever the mood strikes. I bought my DS with a Big Gun Complete exhaust and jetting on the dyno. The dealership wants me to run a couple of tanks through to break it in before they pipe it and tune it. Seems sensible to me, so I'll pick my monster up tomorrow and put a couple of tanks through this week end.

Questions:
1. As big as I am, what do I need to do to get the most out of the bike?

2. What kind of power should I see with the mods that I've bought?

3. With the type of riding that I do, what sprocket ratios should I be looking at?

4. What size/type paddles/wheels should I be purchasing? Gecko, sharks, sand skate 1, 2 etc. etc.

5. Will I be able to run 87 octane?

By the way, my dealer was featured in the March issue of Dirt Wheels, as they dyno'd and tested pipes for the Z400. The dealer is Sand Tech in Las Vegas, Nevada - they seem pretty solid.

Hope this thing will have some get up and go....

I appreciate any info that you folks might have.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

#1- watch the forum for a while it will teachyou about the ds as you learn the machine.

#2- not real sure but some, probably not enough to make you go wow!

#3- for the sand go 15front after that you can go up to 42 in the rear without the chain having to be replaced.

#4- sandskates or haulers i like the haulers and i have 20" and 22" like them both at different times.

#5- oh No premium plus well good luck think with your size you couldn't have chose a better quad have fun and enjoy

Old 03-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

Welcome!

1. That pipe is a good start.
2. I have no idea how many horses, but you will feel it.
3. Not enough experince with the gearing to say.
4. I think the best (straight line hook-up) paddles made are the Skat-trak Extremes.
5. I believe it says 91 or higher on the gas cap. I wouldn't go below that.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

these guys forgot to mention, Unless you have the Baja model, you need to get an aftermarket CDI, everyone that knows bombs, agree's this is the first and most important mod, When i first got my 01 DS the rev limiter stock was set so low i thought it was having timing problems due to the lack of power on top, once you put that no rev limit CDI on there it will be a entirely differnt quad, When i was running mine with the stock CDI, i had just sold my banshee and was regretting switching to 4 strokes, due to my quad being so tame! Now i LOVE it, that new CDI, a pipe, filter and jet kit, and youll be haullin A$$, REPLACE THAT CDI!!
good luck
Jetjock16

Old 03-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the comments... I read where a lot of guys are doing that. Once the limitless CDI is in, do we have to worry about floating the valves? Also, I see that the entire stage one kit includes the following:

Jet kit
pipe
filter
CDI

and
45mm Carb
Cam and intake

How much gain over what I'm doing will there actually be. Obviously the cam helps things quite a bit, and with the cam the carb can dump more fuel and air. Are we talking 1 - 4 hp or are we talking 5 - 10 more Hp over just the pipe/jets/filter and CDI.

Thanks for the help guys. I just don't want to spend money 2, 3, 4 or 5 times. I want to get it right on the first shot. Your opinions make experience makes an educated choice much easier.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Stage 1 vs Stock.. Well lets just say night and day... if you are a trail rider GET the 42 carb, if your a sand person and run HIGH rpms get the 45 carb.
You will be happy you spend the money its VERY VERY noticible!!

Old 03-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A little back ground if you will. I am 6'10" and 310lbs.

1st.) I will call you SIR!!!!!..... geese!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

2nd) Get the 15/42 gearing that these guys mentioned

3rd) Get a Ron Woods CDI(do not buy new,thier is always someone in here selling one)

4th) definatly get skat-trac HAULERS 22/10/10 8 paddle!!! for your wieght DO NOT go over 8 paddle.

5th) later you will probably want MORE power, but first buy a carb HSR45mm/44mmLectron,then buy a piston, then get your head ported, then lastly get the cams. The stock cams are really good.IMO.

Plus you will find all of these ITEMS in here slightly used, at a great price, so ALWAYS check with these guys before buying new!!

6th) YOU ARE ON MY TEAM!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

BIggerisbetter.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

ill let you know that i peiced my stage one togeter using different parts form different people, first i put on a new silencer, i didnt notice much there, but i didnt ride it much with the stock exhaust, then it was the cdi, then i filtered and jetted it (still working on getting it right), i noticed some more pick me up, the last thing i did was the carb, i got the 45 (i mostly run in sand), and now time for a story a friend of mine has a banshee mildly modded he would always out run me in a drag race, before the carb he was like 5 to 6 bike lenghts ahead of me, after getting the carb and getting it jetted he was only about 1/2 to 1 bike lenght ahead, now with all the work i put into my bike he doesnt what to ride the shee anymore, he'll bring his old 3 wheeler saying that he has more fun on it, but what ever, i would say if you can affort it go ahead and get the stage one minus the exhaust cause you have the big gun, i think youll enjoy it, wont be disapointed, or at least i wasnt

Old 03-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks a heep guys. After reading your responses, I ordered my Woods CDI. I will put it in when the bike goes for its parts and dyno runs. I hope for good things!

I just ordered some paddles today from Rocky Moutain something or other. I'll be taking the bike to Dumont for it's first run there next week. Hope it works well.

Rode today for a couple of minutes and had a couple of comments. Remember that that the bike was just picked up today, and fresh off the truck.

suspension:
Rear was WAY to soft for a guy my size. I'll have to jack up the pre-load. I'd like to have the spring compress about 3inches with me on it. Hopefully the spring will take that - a new spring may be in order.

Front was amazing. and while I'll have to run the front a little tighter, I was impressed none the less. I hit a couple of small jumps and big whoops and nothing.... not so much as a squeel came from the front suspension. It was nothing less that AWSOME to watch the front end work. VERY COOL!

Power
It seemed pretty strong, but I didn't want to get into it very much until I put a couple of tanks through it. Seems my buddy's stock raptor had more bottom end, but the bomb had more mid.

Guess we'll see later down the line.

Tool case housing:
SUCKS!!!! I guess I'll have to make something cool to go on the underside of the grab bar.

Other than that, the bike seemed to reek of quality. Can't wait for the many rides in the future.

Thanks for all your imput!

Old 03-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

before you go to the sand be sure and change the front sprocket, 15or 14 and if you change the rear sprocket do a search on how to it is a pain, you will like when you hit the hills

Quick Reply: New to this game...