CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

the red oil light flashes when tring to start my ds ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the red oil light flashes when tring to start my ds ?

ok heres my problem i let some yahoo ride my ds(brother in law ) he took it around the block in first gear .*a%$##@$) .the guy said he knew what he was doing .any way when he got back i rip in to him .. after getting pissed off at him i just put the quad away . went out last night to take it for a spin .. no good . she sounded like she wanted to start but the oil light would stay on for 30 sec then start to flash .i ended up killing the battery .. any idea what could be wrong ??

any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting ??

Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

bombthreat187,
if you have the stock CDI there really shouldn't be any ill effects of from running it around the block in first gear. The rev limiter will kick in and keep it from overrevving.
I would start with the simple stuff like checking the gas and making sure the kill switch is on.
pull the fuel line off the carb and see if gas comes out of the hose. sometimes the gas tank vent can cause fuel starvation, try loostening the gas cap.
Check for spark....if all is good check the compression, maybe he bent a valve while revving the pi$$ out of it. check it out and let us know

Old 03-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

JSsDS thanks for your responce ..i already did about every thing you said .. i have been buggin out about this .. havent had time to get back at here to look deeper in to the problem .

but comon guys 77 views and only one responce does any one know if the flashing oil light indecates anything ???

Old 03-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

if you have your owners manual, that should have the diagnositcs for the warning lights. The first thing I would do is go kick the life outta the moron that did this to your wheeler.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

when my red light flashed it was because the filament had broke off and was bouncing making contact and thus flashing. that sucks about the brother in law. try changing the plugs and if you can clean the carb that would be were i would start, even though he was a knuckle head it shouldn't have broke the ds, we rev ours very high.