CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How does the RWR cams compare to the PAMI cams??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the RWR cams compare to the PAMI cams??

Has anyone run the RWR sport cams and the PAMI race 1 cams on their DS650? How do they compare? Which has more low/mid/high? What were your likes/dislikes of each?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Those two choices are for two different purposes. RW makes sport cams and race cams, and so does Pami. The RW sport cams and the Pami sport cams are similiar in grind, and the Race1 Pami cams are very similiar in grind to the RW race cams. Sport cams sacrifice little to no bottom, give more mid and some top. Race cams sacrifice a little bottom, for more on top as the trade-off.

I run a combination of cams - a RW sport cam on the exhaust, and a RW race cam on the intake. Its the only aftermarket cams I've ran, so i can't compare from experience, but its described as a best of both worlds scenario. These cams, combined with high compression piston, 45mm carb, and portwork, gave me more power everywhere - more bottom, way more mid, and considerable top. the difference from stock is amazing to say the least.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I have run all three the web 109's woods stage three and the pami race. me likes the pami's cam's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] but i still don't like gottfried[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

What's the $$$$$ on these cams? It would be nice to get some.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

i can't remember prices but there on the pami site or TVI should be able to help you

Old 03-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't forget about core charge - I heard Pami does not do a core exchange and their cams are $400/pr. Web cams are $280, but there is a core exchange. I'd rather pay the extra and keep my stock cams.

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

seems like azsand has tried all the cams, i run the woods a-1 and i like them but they seem to fit my riding style. maybe i'll meet up with someone that has pami and want those. gary at tvi sells the web cams and i think he said around $275, but not positive. i know gary will get you hooked on parts if you talk to him long enough. i know gary has taken some hits over cams, and i have to say he has done me right on all the things, that i've bought from him. and the list is getting long, so it's not a one time thing that i'm saying this about. well the other thing it seems that the guys are happy with woods, pami and web, so you probably won't go to wrong whatever you choose.

Old 03-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input! I realize the cams are for different applications. I bought a set of RWR sport cams(have yet to install), and ran across a set of Pami 1 race cams for sale. Looking at the specs(270dur, .425 lift for the Pami and 284dur, .395 lift for the RWR), it looks to me that the Pami would have a broader range(less duration "usually" gives more hp and tq down low with the longer duration getting the nod up top). Seems to be the opposite of the intention of the cams(race/sport). I'm no cam guru, but do understand generally how they work. Of course, the engine/head design defines alot of it.
I plan to drag race my DS on occasion, along with trail riding. I don't want a beast that is hard to live with on the trails(i could have bought a Banshee for that!), but i will usually give the nod to performance when i can. Of the two cams, i want the one with the most usuable performance over the broadest range. If they are somewhat close, i want the one with the most hp.
My intentions for the motor are: MBRP full race exhaust(will be here tomorrow)
TM45mm carb/ported intake(already have)
K&N carb mount(already have)
Aftermarket CDI (hav'nt decided which one yet)
JE 12.5:1 piston(may try to swap for a 11.5:1 piston, or have the dome milled to drop comp some)
RWR sport or Pami race cams(already have the RWR's)
NOS(should be here tomorrow)
Any ideas of the kind of hp it should make(no NOS)? I might try Alky(already have the jets for it)at some point...
Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

it is hard to say by a simple thread but sounds like you might perfer the pami cams. the good thing here is that you can change the cams later. so you could try the woods and if you aren't happy you sell them and buy the others. my wife should be ready for cams and piston soon i might have a need for sports cams. actually i think i'll give her my a-1's and i'll see what the ones that azsand have are.

Quick Reply: How does the RWR cams compare to the PAMI cams??