CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

It's Choaked Up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Choaked Up!

I've been attemping to work thru a problem with my Bomb, If I allow the RPM's to drop while pulling a Steep dune, it starts crapping out like it's choaked and I can't recover. It's kinda like hitting the Rev limiter but the RPM's are falling because it's just starting to lug down. The more Gas I give it the worse. On flat ground it runs fine at low and high RPM's. I'm on the Oregon coast near sea level with a Stock setup other than I just added a K&N air filter. I've been playing with the Jets, started with the Stock 165 main thinking I needed more because of the new filter, I tried a 170 and 180 but things got worse. I've tried the full throttle Plug test with each jet I can't tell any change in color(It's always looks almost like a new plug, white clean looking insulator (not chaulky) with just a small spot of tan color on the insulator edge next to the electrode, just a little black on the threads). I wish I could find pictures of what a plug test should look like, I have found pics of plugs but not during a full throttle test. My Needle is on clip 4. I'm beginning to think my float me be set too high, and on the steep slope it's flooding me out. But I'm not sure. Anyone know what the spec calls for in the way of float settings.

Any ideas will be great

Old 03-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

First off....It's not good to let the RPM's drop while going up a steep hill, that makes it bog down, and that it why you are having problems. If you are going up a hill, and letting off the gas and it starts to bog, then you are pretty much S.O.L. All quads will do that, all 4strokes at least, you need to keep a steady RPM level, or at least dont drop the RPM level down, unless you are shifting.

You have a K&N.....in box, or carb mount?? If its in the box, is the lid on or off?? I don't think the stock jetting will be a problem with an in box K&N. I used to have an open end cap on my stock pipe, and it never needed re-jetting. I think you'll be fine with that.

As for checking the plugs, I wish I knew....I'm still trying to figure that one out, I wish someone would post some pictures somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

DSB...first, welcome to the forum! Second, I agree...
Happiness is a Day at the Dunes
The first thing that comes to mind is that it is not jetting...sounds like it's starving for fuel, yes, but not due to jetting. I would think that it is possible that your float level is off--or--there is a vent line that wraps around the tank on the DS and most of us have experienced fuel starvation due to this set up. Next time it happens try loosening your fuel cap or go ahead and unwrap the vent line shorten it to 18" or so and then run it straight out...I run mine in front of my radiator and it droops down nearly to the bottom of it so if I overfill my tank or on off camber (w/ full tank) it hits the ground. It's probably a simple thing so don't get too worked up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

FYI--you won't be here long before the mods begin and also regular/often jetting...replace those PITA (pain in the...)screws on the bowl with stainless allen head screws...3 4mmx10, and 1 4mmx12 (for the one that holds the idle adjustment screw bracket)! ACE hardware usually carries them...

Jim

Old 03-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

Thanks Clackamas,
My filter is in the Box, I'm thinking of pulling the lid if it's worth it, however. Still have the Stock pipe end cap. I'm new to this DS but have ridden several different quads for last couple of years, this just does not feel right on the hills, as soon as it starts drop off I will shift down and if I'm fast enough It will recover sort of. This quad should have the power and abilty to pull thru.
I'll be Honeyman this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

Jim, I did check the Tank lines and hard time figuring out that they ran two and a half miles to get to the rear of the bike, so I clipped it off ran it in front of the radiator and dropped it down just behind the front shock so if it leaks it goes on the ground. There is a nice little hole that the tubing just fit into on the shock mount.
I like the suggestion of the SS carb screws, first time I remove them had to use Vise Gripes so I bought two spare sets form a local Honda deal for two Bucks. Does ACE carry Metric or will I have to retap?

The reason I mentioned the Float is when I first bought this quad(about a month ago),it was leaking gas thru the overflow, I played with the float until I found that the O-ring holding the seat was leaking by. I attempted to put the float back, but you know how it is, the memory is the 1st or is it the 2nd thind to go.. Anyway, it would be nice to have back to the factory setting. I got this bike cheap, the guy had dumped some Deisel in it and couldn't figure out while it wouldn't run, huh go figure. Cleaned it up, checked Compression, and it's looking real nice now. Other than this problem, I think it's a blast to ride. You right about the modes, Bombs seem to be begging to be played with, just look am! Always draw a crowd.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

DSB...

NO retapping! Most decent hardware stores carry the stainless metric allen screws...

LMAO...diesel??? I've heard of guys trying funny fuels...that's almost helarious!

I'm still not completely convinced you're not just hitting the rev-limiter and loosing momentum...BTW, that's a first GREAT mod to do and don't worry about overreving the DS. Other things are possible...no problems starting the quad? A battery tender will keep your battery full of juice and the DS "needs juice to make juice".

Let us know what you figure out...

Jim

Old 03-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

If you are still running your stock end-cap, that is your problem(or one of them). The stock endcap has NO bottomend and requirs you to stay in the high RPM range for power to climb the steep dunes,and as you know when it wheelies and you have to let off the throttle, you loose momentium,and need the bottom-end GRUNT to get the wheels spinning agian. GET A PIPE!

Also, Is your needle on the 4th clip from the bottom,or top??? Lower the clip(rising the needle) that should help your mid-range if your lean. Rise the clip(lowering the needle) if you are running rich,and this will lean out the mid-range. Needle position,is cruetial when climing(playing) on the big dunes, you should have NO hesitation at any throttle position.

So get a PIPE!, and tune that carb!, Then you will want to get rid of the stock CDI box. LET THE MODS BEGIN!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Biggerisbetter.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

dasandbomb i'm planning florence this weekend and might be able to help, i'll have two yellow ds's red shock covers.

Old 03-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

I had the fuel starving issue from pinched vent pipe. Easy to tell if that is what you have - open the lid on your tank then try to blow up through the vent. If air doesn't flow, you have an issue.

I too cut my vent line but, on the last trip noticed fuel was leaking from it (no wonder I was using so much gas.) I bought an aluminum fuel line vent check valve from James Lucky for about $12 and will try it out this weekend for the first time.

If you ever go to a more aggressive cam this is exactly how your bike will perform. But, you will probably be able to get to the top of these hills much quicker because of the increase in HP. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default It's Choaked Up!

just checked and i'll be there from thur- sun so i hope to meet up with you, we'll ride out to comp and see if we can find the problem. might want to pick on a few banshees while were there. beat several there last weekend but there was a few that were way beyond my machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: It's Choaked Up!