CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HELP!! Need input fast.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Need input fast.

Well beyond my better judgment and much anguish I decided to go with a 720 kit. Were do I begin?! Well to make a long story I sent my cylinder to be sleaved with Sleave from Samcoe. Samcoe didn't do the work though. Then I took it over to be O-ringed by another shop, This shop by the way has 30yrs experience in Motorcycle and Race car engine building. The built some of the fastest stuff to come out of Florida. Now, before they cut the o-ring groove in the cylinder they pointed out to me that the Sleave was installed wrong! Now I am concerned.

So the guy's tell me not to worry, they can correct the problem enough that I shouldn't have any issues. The bore for the sleave wasn't exactly centered in the cylinder. So when they went to cut the o-ring he noticed that they had to bore the cylinder offset to compensate for the sleave being installed off center. So when they cut the o-ring groove it isn't perfectly centered on the sleave. So, the o-ring groove is cut into the sleave so it is centered correctly with the bore. IT sounds a little complicated doesn't it?! Well I see what they are telling me and I am happy with what they could do. Next he tells me the sleave is taller than the deck on the stator side by .013, and taller than the deck on the clutch side by .010. Now he decks the cylinder to get everything with in .001. He then proceeds to do my head witch I have never seen such awesome port work done before! I was totally happy! So the mechanic throwing evrything back together says that everything looks great and that I shouldn't have any problems at all with a head gasket leak now that I have a well done O-Ring job. He assembled it with the new TVI bolts and showed me how stretched the old bolts were. WOW! So he uses a 3 layer gasket from Samcoe which I wasn't impressed with but Sam says it is the shiznit for sealing up the head. I asked the builders about the Copper gasket and they said in order to use the copper gasket you would need to cut a receiver groove in the top of the head, in order to get a true seal.

So, he finishes putting the bike together and I take it out tonight for a spin while I am here in L.V. and low and behold I am not out riding for five minutes that the Temperature light comes on! Well the bike was at about 230 degrees and NOW I am ANGRY!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] So I felt the radiator and the left side was totally cool? So I thought perhaps there is a air bubble in the system so I decide to bleed it. I unscrew the radiator cap expecting to get fried by the antifreeze but instead, nothing![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] There wasn't any pressure! So now I am baffled, so I look at the oil expecting to see a Vanilla milk shake and there wasn't one. So I figured that perhaps the thermostat was stuck so I pulle dit out and and notjing came out of the engine or the top of the radiator! So now I am really ANGRY!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] So, I filled the radiator up and decided to leave the thermostat out and take another quick lap. I had actually smelled burning radiator fluid when we first loaded the bike and I said to my mechanic it smeels like we already have a problem! He said no, it is just some of the residue left on the pipes from a littl anti freeze spillage. So I took that at face value. Anyway as I am zipping around I really smell Anti freeze and I stop and check the heat and the heat was still ok but I turned the quad off and decided to check the oil agian. And what do you suppose I found there? YEP!! A nice 4 QUART VANILLA MILKSHAKE!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Well after I rgained my composure I laded the quad and brought it back to my parents and I am now eagerly awaiting the morning light so I can figure out what the hell happened!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

My other buddy who has been having head gasket problems said that he never got anti freeze in his oil. He said it was just blowing it out the radiator over flow! Well I don't know what is happening. I can't beleive that the 0-ring didn't work! Those guy's were incredibly meticulous about there work! Maybe it is just a shi!!#ty gssket or something. Or may be it is my water pump seals ? I don't know so that is why I am asking my addoring public for help!!!!! Input Please!! I can't afford to mess with this motor any more so if it isn't a easy fix for me then does anyone have a stock cylinder they would like to trade me?! Or get rid of? I may just give the 105mm kit and go back to a 102mm with no sleave and no need for a o-ring or head gasket issues!!! I am sure it probably is a simple fix though. Well enough on this novel! Thanks for your time. P.S. It ran like a raped ape though during that 5 minutes!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I wonder if he measured to the top of the sleeve, or to the top of the O-ring ? Hopefully it is the water pump seal , only time will tell.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

when i did my engine i thought i got the head gasket wrong so i took it back apart only to get the milk shake again, turned out to be the water pump seal. hope this is the case for you. seems duneme might have a cylinder or did. other than that jeff is probably the one to ask on that bore.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

angry i feel bad about the king shocks thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] i have a stock cylinder if you want it. you pay shipping and it's your's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Now this is what I joined this forum for! What a great bunch of guys we have on here! Thanks Jeffroe and check your PM.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Your friend is right. We had some head gasket issues and it was blowing out of the overflow. Sounds like the pump seal to me.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a stock cylinder. Sounds like Jeffroe has you covered. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Man, I hope it is a pump seal. I would like to see those kits work for everyone.

What compression piston are you running?

Old 04-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

12:5:1 piston. I think the head gasket just didn't seal around the water jacket's on the timing chain side. I am tearing it apart right now to find out and I will let you know.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I would put new water pump seals in first to see if that's it because I had a milkshake once and me thinking it was the head gasket I put a new one in and it was the water pump seal. So I went through all the work of putting a head gasket in when it didn't need it. What I am saying is if you just put new water pump seals in first you can see if that's it and if it isn't, you have piece of mind that it's new, it is MUCH easier to do, and the seals are cheap and you know it cant be the problem if you do it anyway. This is my opinion on what I would do if I wasnt sure what it was and pulling motor apart for something that isn't broke really sucks, especially if it's 10 times harder to do than what is really wrong with it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2003, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider

Well I thought about checking the water pump seals and then I thought, would the seals fail that quickly? Well I figured I won't take any chances plus I need to get the valve stems ground down a little more so I pulled the head. I think I may have found the problem. I won't know until tommorow when they measure it. But I think the sleave may have settled down into the bore a little. I don't think it was pushed all the way in. Ihad standard carbn build up on the sparkplug side of the combustion chamber and the other side was clean. But the O-Ring is still intact. And I never noticed any pressure in the radiator. How do you tell if the seals are any good in the water pump? Also has anyone had there pump go bad? Anyway I may have a 105mm cylinder and piston up for sale real soon. Also this new cometic gasket that Samcoe seems to swear buy. I don't like it! Someone needs to make a gasket for the bigger bores like the stock gasket! That stock gasket kicks butt!! The New Cometic has the stupidest water passage holes I have ever seen. They are small and perfectly round and they don't match the ports at all, so I am sure this could be causing problems also! I want to try the copper gasket this time but I am not sure if that is really going to be any better? How much Gasgasinch are you suppose to smear on their anyway? Well I should know more by tommorow night. LAter.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Need input fast.